Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Question about yeast in breadmaking >

Question about yeast in breadmaking

Question about yeast in breadmaking

Old 09-30-2021, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

Default Question about yeast in breadmaking

I made a loaf today from a website called Ciao Florentina (great website)
and she said to add yeast to the flour and salt. Then add the water and mix.
I did that and it didn't rise right.
The bread tasted good even though it didn't rise as it should have.
I thought of a couple of things but maybe someone else can help:
I usually put the yeast in warm water and also the yeast wasn't expired but maybe it was a dud.

When you put it in the oven she said to put a pan of water below the bread and that's what makes the crust nice
and crusty. It was.

Why am I so intent on making bread???? That's the last thing I need
The truth is- the bakery where we bought wonderful Italian bread closed and the kind they make at Whole Foods doesn't come close.

Any other ideas?
Tia

Last edited by SusieQOH; 09-30-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:58 PM

Did it just not rise? Or not rise enough? There is regular yeast and instant yeast, here is some info.

https://www.marthastewart.com/779699...pid-rise-yeast

I loved baking, bread is my kryptonite! I generally had no issues with the rapid rise yeast and always made sure to proof the regular one in the packets.
Many factors in bread making, humidity, the type of flour, yeast, liquid temperature, etc. When baking bread it is always better to weigh the ingredients. Perhaps you did get a dud, I have had that happen a few times.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:17 PM

Yes, I think you should have used instant rising yeast if it is supposed to go in with the dry ingredients. But you can modify any yeast recipe for regular yeast. Just take some of the liquid, add a bit of sugar and the yeast, let it foam and add with the other liquid.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

I always proof my yeast to start. I do the warm water with a bit of sugar in it and sprinkle the yeast in. Once it foams up good I add my other ingredients. I figure if the yeast doesn’t proof well why waste all the other ingredients.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

It did rise, but not enough.
You know, I always buy rapid rise but this one wasn't. Maybe I picked up the wrong one or my husband bought it. I only checked the date and then put it in the flour and salt mixture.
Great tips from all of you, thanks.
I could live on bread!
Old 09-30-2021, 06:10 PM

I always rehydrate the yeast separately, no matter what kind of yeast. That way the yeast is awake and ready to go. If you mix it into the flour then add water, it is competing with the flour for hydration.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:48 PM

I agree that yeast should go in the warm, wet ingredients. I don't buy RapidRise. I like the regular better. I made English Muffin bread yesterday. So easy and makes such good toast.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:16 AM

I guess I'm a little different about my bread baking. I rarely proof my yeast & I do not put it in contact with salt until I am adding it to the flour in the mixer bowl. I don't know if it is true, but I read that salt will retard the yeast rise, so I add salt at the last moment possible. I bake a lot of bread so I keep a lot of yeast in the freezer & as long as it is well sealed, it doesn't lose potency for use.
As for the water in the pan- make sure you tuck your loaf into the oven & immediately put about 1.5cups of boiling water in your pan & shut the oven door quickly. Wait about 3-5 minutes & then lightly spray your loaf (do not spray your oven light!) again & close the door. That will help 'crisp' up your crust. King Arthur Flour has great info if you go to their website. Don't forget to look at their recipes too!
Have fun baking
sewverybusy1
Old 10-01-2021, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by sewverybusy1 View Post
I guess I'm a little different about my bread baking. I rarely proof my yeast & I do not put it in contact with salt until I am adding it to the flour in the mixer bowl. I don't know if it is true, but I read that salt will retard the yeast rise, so I add salt at the last moment possible.
I agree! I usually use my bread machine now, but I don't let my yeast directly touch the salt. A little sugar helps the rise, too.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

I make all our bread and have been for years. Salt and yeast do not like each other. I always add my salt last . I add yeast to warm water and always check the temp of the water, 110 degrees for active dry yeast, proofed in water or 120 degrees if added to flour. Too warm of water will kill the yeast. Too cool and it won't wake up and will hinder the gluten formation.
I buy yeast by the lb package and freeze it. I keep a small container of it in the cabinet. The more you bake with yeast the more good spores will be in your kitchen that help a lot when bead making.

My bread recipe is simple. Flour water yeast and salt. This is perfect French bread dough I use steam pans to bake. The crust is crackly. For sandwich bread I add 1/4 cup of oil and reduce the water. Even after years of baking I will have a flop now and then. I make bread crumbs and forget it.