Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 06-12-2022, 07:31 AM

SuzSLO It’s beautiful and your quilting is great! I look at your 72x72 and wish I had done the smaller size, so much more useful unless you know you have a bed to cover.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

SuzSLO- that's gorgeous! I love how you quilted it. What a beauty! I still have to get mine longarmed.
Why do I put these things aside? It's been ready to go for months. SMH at myself!
Old 06-12-2022, 11:20 AM

SuzSLO, great job on the finish. Fabulous job on the top and quilting. They go great together.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
Finally finished quilting and binding my RT! After hemming and hawing about the borders, I ended up with something very similar to the pattern; just moved the colors around a bit. I made around half the blocks and the finished size is 72 x72. I was so happy to be able to use the FMQ skills I learned in HollyAnne Knight’s Free Motion Quilting Academy. Another fun Mystery. Thanks for letting me hang out with all of you.
Congratulations on the finish, it’s beautiful! Your quilting and backing are fabulous.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:24 PM

resized-close-up-rhododendron-scrappy-look.jpgresized-rhododendron-trail-hanging-2931.jpg
Thanks for directing me to this site. I kept looking under Rhododendron Challenges and couldn't find it. Here is my finished BH quilt top. I started it in mid-My and finished this past weekend. Everything went together perfectly except the top and bottom borders were a bit long. So........I took out my paper pieced diamond and put together two flying geese of the same color and it just looks like a bigger diamond LOL I had to purchase more neutrals but everything else was from my stash. I wasn't sure about the scrappy neutrals but from afar they appear almost solid.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:54 AM

Wow, each quilt is so beautiful. I love how everyone did their own technique and tweaked it a bit.
Old 06-14-2022, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
Attachment 639618Attachment 639619
Thanks for directing me to this site. I kept looking under Rhododendron Challenges and couldn't find it. Here is my finished BH quilt top. I started it in mid-My and finished this past weekend. Everything went together perfectly except the top and bottom borders were a bit long. So........I took out my paper pieced diamond and put together two flying geese of the same color and it just looks like a bigger diamond LOL I had to purchase more neutrals but everything else was from my stash. I wasn't sure about the scrappy neutrals but from afar they appear almost solid.
Glad you cross-posted here.

I agree that it is great how well scrappy neutrals both blend but also add just that little extra bit of pizzazz to a quilt. A photo of a quilt Alex Anderson made decades ago with nothing but white and off-white fabric (you can use those on the same quilt!) was a game changer for me. And Bonnie obviously embraces this vibe.

Making mostly scrappy quilts mostly with fabrics in my stash does allow me to pretend that materials for my quilts are cheaper than they really are. I almost had a heart attack when I priced buying all the fabric needed for a new quilt (even with most of it on sale) and decided I had better make a test block from my stash before proceeding.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:03 AM

I've been following along with the Edyta Sitar summer 2022 mystery. It has a fascinating look due to the block shading. I don't think these clues will remain available after this Wed., when the mystery ends. She has designed the quilt for 1 yd. pieces and 2 yd. of a light neutral, but it could be done scrappily as well.

#summermysteryquilt2022

Last edited by joe'smom; 07-25-2022 at 10:08 AM. Reason: correction
Old 07-25-2022, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I've been following along with the Edyta Sitar summer 2022 mystery. It has a fascinating look due to the block shading. I don't think these clues will remain available after this Wed., when the mystery ends. She has designed the quilt for 1 yd. pieces and 2 yd. of a light neutral, but it could be done scrappily as well.

#summermysteryquilt2022
Are you going to make the pattern, eventually? I did her 2020 Mystery (California) after all the clues were released and still enjoyed the process.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:03 PM

Yes, I've saved the clues and hope to make it sometime in the future. Meanwhile, it's fun to see all the variations people are posting!