Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 12-19-2021, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mumto2 View Post
I have 4 garnets that all came with my kit. I don’t think my stash has a single garnet so I am definately sticking with my four! I started cutting today and have stitched a few triangles. I am probably 20% done with the clue. I think I am going to need the extra days on this one! My sample square is slightly too big so I have been making my seams ever so slightly wider.

I have decided to press my center seam open with the two sides towards the dark. Bonnie said we could choose.....how are you all handling that seam?
I'm spinning that center seam. Whenever I can - I spin! Spinning the center seam reduces bulk, and I find a flatter unit helps with overall accuracy.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK View Post
If using the strip cutting method where you put a garnet strip and a neutral strip together...would you need all the units written x 2 to get the amount of final units?
TIA
Kirsten
I think that’s right. Go back to BH’s instructions and about half way through she gives the cutting count followed by “Gulp”. You can check there.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK View Post
If using the strip cutting method where you put a garnet strip and a neutral strip together...would you need all the units written x 2 to get the amount of final units?
TIA
Kirsten
If I'm understanding your question - yes.

The final Clue 4 unit is comprised of 2 halves of the the same sub-unit. So, using the strip cutting method where two fabrics are layered then cut, each cut, when sewn together, will made one of the halves of the final Clue 4 unit.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I can't believe how few garnets I have in my stash. I'm going to look through my precuts. I like that color and don't know why I don't have more of it but it appears I don't. I've done about 40% of clue 4 so far and only have 2 different garnets.
I've discovered the same thing. I thought I had a lot of reds, but found little of what I consider to be a garnet.
I'm quite determined that NO NEW FABRIC WILL BE PURCHASED for this years mystery. So I'm going with what I have.
I'm okay with the barn reds and maroons, or what I think of as the darker reds. I'm excluding the bright/cherry reds and berry reds.
I know we don't have to stay with Bonnie's fabric colors. I considered changing the garnet to black or green.
But yet again, I'm sticking with Bonnie's colors.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:26 AM

Iceblossom, I am glad to know you are doing better this year. I never had depression before the pandemic. I have had friends pass, my brother too so that along with just pandemic life in general it hit me. I still struggle some days. We used to live in Issaquah years ago. When we went back a couple years ago I could not believe the changes there. I am plodding along with these units. I want to vary my garnet and find that I need to find more in my stash. Here's to a good Sunday today and hope everyone is having an nice weekend.
Old 12-19-2021, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

SandraP I'm so sorry about your brother and friends. Depression is such a real and horrible thing. I don't think a lot of people can understand just how bad it can be unless they've gone through it.
Pinkflowers- thanks for your post. I also don't want to buy anything. I have some that I would call maroon maybe that I may use, also dark reds. Some look like rust and I don't really want to use them. I can't picture rust with pink!
Old 12-19-2021, 09:37 AM

Checking in -- still haven't started cutting yet but I've found a few dark purples to add to my Garnet group and am ready to slice and dice and keep count. A couple of the dark purples will use up what remains of the scraps but will yield only a couple of squares for this project. When I did the Grassy Creek project my reds tended dark toward wine and some of them would have worked for this Garnet group but I'm glad they got used whenever they did.

I'm noticing bits of blue in my fabrics and might change the direction of the aqua when it finally comes -- it's the only fabric I haven't made a decision on, I do have several options pulled but may have to go for something completely different when the time comes.

We were finishing up Season 2 of Call the Midwife yesterday. Today there is music on. Today we will be home but typically on Sunday we have date day and listen to rebroadcasts of Casey Kasem American Top 40 while we are driving. Probably turn that on at the top of the hour when it starts. I think the series we are in is 1984 or so...
Old 12-19-2021, 09:54 AM

Because once again, I am doing a half-hearted version, I am more than 50% done with the units. Still have just a few more to cut (although I seem to need an odd number given that I cut 8 units at a time, so what’s with that?). Most of my garnets were used in Grassy Creek as a color I called Cardinal (which I used instead of Parakeet), so it’s like seeing old friends again.
Attached Thumbnails img_1354.jpeg  
Old 12-19-2021, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Suz- those are lovely!!
Old 12-19-2021, 10:19 AM

I've noticed that Bonnie doesn't stick close to her paint chips, and she has some pretty bright reds, so I think a wide range of garnets will look great.

I've had a bad cold for over a week, DH too, so hoping everyone stays well. It's fun to follow your progress!