Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-09-2022, 09:44 AM

I have never worked with such pure colors before. That is one of the reasons I do the Bonnie mystery -- to work with palettes that I wouldn't choose myself.

I had the most fun yesterday matching up fabrics for my blocks. I'm thinking I might do all cutting first.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

My sewing machine must be wondering what's going on. I haven't touched it in 4 days.
But...... I got all my pieces cut out. Hopefully I can start sewing tomorrow.
PS. I'm still cross-eyed from those memory boxes! And I got my cousin's letter mailed to him. He will get such a kick out of his 21 yr. old self!
Old 01-09-2022, 09:58 PM

I’m loving everyone’s progress and colors and blocks.

i’m so behind on my sewing. (Family issue). But I have been making progress. I have part 1 completed, ready to cut and sew the wings from part 3. Part 2 is sewn, just need to trim, (this week project). Part 5, 6, & 7 not started. Part 4 I have 1/2 cut out, 1/2 of those sewn, just need to cut out 1/2 of block pieces and sew. I thought I had enough strips cut out, but at this point. I’m not so sure. I won’t know until tomorrow when I finish cutting my strips for the blocks. Hopefully I will have all the blocks together by the big reveal. I’m hoping it’s not this Friday. I think I will get up early and sew for 2-4 hours in the am for the next 5 days. That should help quite a bit.

oh, well happy sewing/quilting everyone.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:11 AM

I am almost finished with my current project, hopefully by this time next week I can start the mystery. I also start my new job today (well, same job, different location), so I might be tilting at windmills over how much progress I'm going to get done.

Beautiful work, everyone!
Old 01-10-2022, 04:13 AM

Happylab,
I was really behind and was able to catch up. Now you can learn from us on these. My hourglass blocks are not great. They looked fine until I put them in a block, then some of the tips are cut off to make the block the right size. Just be careful with those. I am vacillating whether to redo them or just leave it.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:52 AM

I got a lot done yesterday. All the 9-patch units are made with the plain rectangles top and bottom. Today I'll be putting on the final long sides.

I must have been sewing super scant seams, my blocks were spreading in size but I knew the rectangles were precisely cut. Anyway, none of the 9-patches were short, a couple perfect and most had some/a bit of fullness eased in to fit the rectangles.

From a galloping by 6 feet away standard, I'm pretty happy. A couple of the blocks do make me go ooof on close inspection, but it will be fine once quilted down.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I did one block last night. It came out fine, but I can see the challenge with all those points. Lots and lots of points!
Old 01-10-2022, 07:59 AM

I haven’t started part 6 yet so I am grateful for your warnings about the points. I suspect mine are going to be hard to work with. I had to take a few days off because of a sore wrist but am hoping to finish clue 5 at some point today. I just need to sew those. I want to start cutting my creams because I am worried I don’t have enough left in my purchased pack. I can always supplement from the stash but just want know!
Old 01-10-2022, 08:32 AM

Yes, I suppose all those points are going to be challenging. But hey, we've come this far! Clues 1-3 are done. I think I have about half of clue 4 to finish. They are cut, ready to sew. Clue 5 is done. Clue 6 is cut and ready to sew. I'm not starting clue 7 until I get caught up on these others but hope to be caught up to there this week - so not too far behind.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:18 AM

Sandra, thank you for the helpful tips for the hourglass sub blocks & 9-patch hourglass Blocks.