Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-18-2022, 09:00 AM

HI all
Coming out of lurk-dom to show my progress so far. It's been great seeing everyone else's progress shots.

All my main blocks have been sashed, still have to do the sashing on the setting triangles, and then I can start to make my rows.

I began by making 2/3rds of the unit numbers, but I complicated things for myself by making each unit at 75% size! Reducing the size was no problem, but I was mathematically challenged a couple of times with working out the amounts - I had many, many pink/white HST's left over! So I adapted my setting triangles to include these (still have more left, haha).

When it came to the sashing tho, I did retain the original size, cos 3/4 size on there would have been a bit silly lol. I also felt it needed a darker green than aqua, so swapped that out.

I think this is the "pinkest" top I've ever made!

This has been quite an intensive top to make, but I'm so glad I joined in.....

Kate

Attached Thumbnails top-wee.jpg   corner-wee.jpg  
Old 01-18-2022, 09:18 AM

Wow, Siodach, what a way to come out of lurking! I love what you are doing and that you are reducing the overall scale at the same time is amazing. Good for you for figuring out your mathematical challenges and ways to use the pieces. I'm going to figure out what I'm doing with my whole extra step worth of pieces but that won't be any time soon.

I really like the strength of your sashing -- I'm going back into my boxes to see still yet other options... I think the aqua I currently have picked out is most likely low-poly but still a blend. I did a burn test and part of me says -- perfect color, enough yardage and close enough fiber content, and the other part says no, too shiny and won't wear/weather the same.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:20 AM

Siodach, your quilt is looking wonderful! I love your variety of pinks, the pink on the sides and your shade of sashing (which looks like a teal blue on my monitor). How brave of you to reduce block size (I'll walk miles out of my way to avoid math, LOL). I'm thinking of doing a 4x5 version also.

I've never worked with cool pink before; it just isn't a color I've gravitated to, but I am really enjoying the bright colors of this quilt.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:41 AM

Siodach it’s beautiful! I really like the darker sashing with the garnet. Huge bonus points 😉 for size reduction.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:42 AM

Kate: Your addition to the setting triangles is lovely, as is your whole quilt center. Thanks for posting photos.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Kate- I love your blue!! Looks wonderful with your blocks.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:16 AM

Siodach: I love the extra pink in the setting triangles. That seems to be the perfect way to bring the colors in the two blocks together. Way to up the game!
Old 01-18-2022, 03:00 PM

Siodach/Kate I love it! What a beauty you have made. Your sashing is perfect! I wish I would have changed mine around now after seeing yours.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:02 PM

Here is mine so far. I am not turning the hour glass blocks. Just made it look too busy for me
Attached Thumbnails 0118221636_resized.jpg  

Last edited by Sandra-P; 01-18-2022 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:57 PM

Sandra: It is lovely! Great job.