Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-28-2022, 01:32 AM

Yesterday I finally started Part 6! It feels like I'm actually working on putting it together now.

I don't read instructions on the Parts until I'm ready to start working on it so when we received the 14-page Part 8, with the reveal, I panicked a little but just put it aside. Seeing all the variations and reading the comments on assembling the pieces is interesting. I feel that by the time I get to Part 8, I will have a better understanding of how to proceed based upon this thread.

Thank you!
Old 01-28-2022, 03:46 AM

Macybaby, i love your aqua with the pink…I bet it looks great with the border addition. Nicely done.

Iceblossom, as much as I love to sew, sometimes I just need a break from my sewing room to accomplish other chores and hit the reset button. I can’t wait to see your progress now that you have your white washed and ironed.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:46 AM

So that's my top finished now, really pleased I got it done so early, compared to previous years :-).

I only made 2/3rds of the units, but I did make all the units at 3/4 size. Then I fiddled about with the border, so my top has finished at 55 x 66 inches - only just fits on my wall, haha. I decided to add a small garnet border alongside the garnet triangles (mostly to help hide any missed points (!) followed by the last of my dark teal. When it came to the flying geese, 2/3rds was way too few for the original border, but I decided I didn't fancy making more of them, hence the pattern I settled on. Amazingly I didn't have to fudge anything - isn't that cool? lol. Another inch of garnet to seal all the outer seams, and I will bind it in garnet too.

At one point I was tempted to omit the tiny garnet cornerstones, but told myself not to be so lazy. I'm very glad that I left them in, even after having to spend an hour adding in the ones I had missed along the outer edge. Half-way through this operation the word "garnet" triggered a memory.

About 20 miles along the coast from me is a small bay where, some time in pre-history, a volcano erupted. All the lava flowed out to sea at this bay. Something in the minerals contained in that lava meant that many, many tiny garnets formed as the lava cooled. Now, shooting forward to the present day, tidal erosion frequently exposes these wee gemstones, and it's a common sight to see families crawling along the rocks at low tide, searching for tiny dark twinkles to try and chip out of the rocks. I did many times with my own kids :-). So now our wee cornerstones will always remind me of those fun days on the shoreline with my own little 'uns, in the area known locally as "Ruby Bay".

Attached Thumbnails img_1715wee.jpg   img_1718wee.jpg  
Old 01-28-2022, 06:53 AM

I love how Macybaby and Siodach have put together the same quilt and have made it their own. Macy baby's layout is perfect and Siodach's border is so much calmer than the original one. Y'all are an inspiration! Happy Sewing.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:06 AM

Siodach, love your beach story!

I also love what you did with the border way better than all the flying geese.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:30 AM

Siodach, all of your design decisions have worked out so well.Your quilt is beautiful! I love the Ruby Bay story -- thanks for sharing!
Old 01-29-2022, 08:48 AM

Kate and Cathy: Your quilt tops are both lovely. Really fabulous job.

I have my center completed. Need to trim and measure, then add the skinny turquoise border (which should be 1.25” finished, but we shall see)

Then the flying geese border (of which I need many more). Some lovely ideas out there for alternative borders.
Attached Thumbnails img_1398.jpeg  
Old 01-29-2022, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

These photos are wonderful!

I got my niece's quilt in the mail. She'll get it before her surgery and it will be there when she gets home. Nothing like quilty hugs I've NEVER made a quilt from start to finish this fast and I'm quite pleased with the result. I guess that's what love does to me!

Going to work on my BH today.

Everyone is doing incredible work!
Attached Thumbnails img_5641.jpg  
Old 01-29-2022, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
These photos are wonderful!

I got my niece's quilt in the mail. She'll get it before her surgery and it will be there when she gets home. Nothing like quilty hugs I've NEVER made a quilt from start to finish this fast and I'm quite pleased with the result. I guess that's what love does to me!

Going to work on my BH today.

Everyone is doing incredible work!
Great job! I spent a lot of time on my sofa after my heart surgery so she should get lots of use out of it, all the while knowing she is loved.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Thanks, Suz- she is a sweetheart for sure. And your pic is gorgeous!!