Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 02-10-2022, 03:53 AM

Iceblosson: I love the pinks and the purples together, it came out so pretty!
Old 02-10-2022, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

It boggles my mind how Bonnie comes up with these designs. I wouldn't be able to do it in a million years. So glad others share their talents. I like how she challenges me in construction of them. I'm going to dig out my Frolic and see if I like it any better. It's still not finished.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:35 AM

I hope you fall in love again with Frolic when you pull it out! It was fiddly and I was not a fan of the extra units and wasted fabric but I did love it when it was done. Be sure to post pictures once you get going again, perhaps some cheering on will help. What don’t you like about it?

I appreciate all Bonnie does, it is no easy task to come up with new and exciting patterns and offer them free to boot.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

Lisa, my problem is that it literally makes me dizzy! hahaha!!
Even my husband didn't like it and he likes everything I make.
But I'm thinking maybe I'll have a different reaction to it or maybe change something to tone it down. It's very loud and very busy.

Someone mentioned setting it straight instead of on point. I'm not opposed to doing some ripping. I hate to see it in a heap the way it is. I'll figure something out.

Oh yes, Bonnie is so generous! I was happy to purchase On Ringo Lake as she does so much for free.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:10 AM

That is a beautiful outcome, Iceblossom!

As I was working with my clue 3s, putting them into the corners of the block spaces, I realized what the issues are with the butterflies, and why it is problematic not to have the sashing -- it looks awkward where the A block neutrals blend in with the B block neutrals at the block corners, with the alternate butterfly placement; the sashing masks that issue. So I'm not sure how I will proceed, but I'll worry about that after my A blocks are constructed.

I saw someone post their RT quilt center without the goose border but with a regular border with a large floral print. It looked quite pretty. Sometimes Bonnie's pieced border works well with a second regular border, but I've seen a couple RTs like that and I did not care for the goose border followed by a plain border, so will have to decide between plain or geese (geese would allow me to use more of my pinks and yellows, which would be nice).
Old 02-10-2022, 10:34 AM

SusieQOH: Your top is gorgeous. Nice work.

Iceblossum: I love how the pinks and purples look in Block A , as well as the geese border. Great job.

Joe’sMom: I have a shopping trip scheduled for tomorrow to see if I can find a single fabric to use as my border. If not, I’m pretty happy with just having a very skinny (1.25”) turquoise border.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:51 AM

Great job, Iceblossom! Love the pinks and purples together. Works great!
Old 02-10-2022, 01:37 PM

Speaking of Frolic ... That was the first time that I save the MQ clues, and who knows what happened, but I never got around to doing it. Same thing happened with Grassy Creek, which I do intend to eventually make, although who knows when. But when the I saw the reveal for Frolic, I decided that I wasn't terribly fond of it and likely wouldn't ever make it (although I never deleted the clues). I just pulled up the reveal, and looked at it again closely, and am still unsure - maybe it's that pink thing again that turned me off. What I learned with Rhododendron Trail, though, was that if I had waited until the end, I might not have made this one either. But by the time of the reveal, I had already bonded with the individual blocks and had played with them often enough that it was reasonably easy to come up with an alternate layout (or two). So maybe I'll give Frolic a try.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

woodland creature- I saw many Frolic quilts by our board members that I liked. I just didn't like mine. I bet it had to do with my fabric choices? I don't really know.
I may take it apart and redo some of it, if I can do so without too much frustration. Maybe I can reconfigure the blogs or omit something. I don't like it sitting in the heap it's in.

I love this one though. So happy I joined. We had a lot of fun.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:12 PM

I am really late to the game, but I finally started my rhododendron trail today. I'm hoping I can get it done by the end of march. After a little deliberating, I took grassy creek off my bed today and put Frolic on it to welcome the longer days we've been having, and eventually spring!