Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 02-08-2022, 12:20 PM

Made some good progress at Tuesday group. I'm just a day behind after muttering about car repairs instead of sewing. I did get the top/bottom inner borders put on and the sides cut. Today at group I pinned the outer geese rows to the cut sashing -- it all fit together rather nicely.

I also spent some time taking my little square markers off and pulling off loose threads and such.

So next step is to sew those, then put them on, and then the final top/bottom geese borders... so close I can almost taste it!
Old 02-08-2022, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

I am officially finished! And I'm pooped! I'll post a picture tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:54 PM

Yay! For finished SusieQOH. Progress has been made today as I have my geese sets sewn together. I need to make my diamonds but thin I will wait for a new day and a more awake brain. Mine will need to be slightly wider because I did 2 inches for the border instead of an inch and a quarter......I think my adjustment will need to be about a half an inch and so much easier to work with.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:56 PM

I am still pushing along on Clue 6, just have to stitch the nine patch rows together and press those seams to the middle. I think I am pretty sure I will be using some of the modifications I I have seen; I am going to add the aqua to the hourglass blocks. and I am going to add some of that as scrappy. I found three other aqua's plus the yardage and that will have to do.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

I'm sending this beast to my longarmer. I really am happy with the finish. I want to make On Ringo Lake but it's on hold while I do something easy lol.
Attached Thumbnails img_5677.jpg  
Old 02-09-2022, 09:13 AM

Woohoo SusieQOH -- nice finish! I really like the overall softness of yours, and I like the slightly darker neutrals in the butterfly squares.

It is a big heavy quilt and long-arm appropriate. The last two I was pretty happy just doing a serpentine stitch along the gridlines, but I feel this needs some big all-over swoopy stuff in my solid white.

I have one long side officially on the top -- it went pretty easily and fit nicely. I marked the fourths on both the border and the quilt, and the center was easy to determine via the blocks and the handy diamond right in the center of the border. I did folded paper piecing for my diamonds and kept the paper diamonds as row labels. During construction I could tell my top/bottom and my sides apart because I put on One safety pin in the middle of the goose unit for the start of the top/bottom and two for the long sides. Really helped me but I still had to count the individual geese about 72 times... Even with my garnet squares trimmed into triangles and stay stitched, I had to lay it out flat on the ironing board and not try and pin the pieces on my lap, just too much give that way.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:14 AM

Beautiful, SusieQOH!

I was working on clue 3 last night, and as I placed my second neutral triangle on each unit, I was setting aside the clue 5 big triangles with the squares that would go on them. Seeing the big triangle pinks together was kind of shocking, because I thought I had such a good variety of shades, but they are basically all the same, LOL (and actually more purple than pink).
Old 02-09-2022, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

OMG!!! Someone saw an error and I'm so thankful! I didn't see it and was ready to send it off.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Old 02-09-2022, 09:37 AM

SusieQOH is it the flying geese? I think your quilt is beautiful by the way.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

Default The mistake

Here's the mistake. Boy, I never saw it!!!
Attached Thumbnails img_5678.jpg