Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 02-06-2022, 06:12 PM

Iceblossom, so pretty with the purples and pinks!
Old 02-06-2022, 07:45 PM

My top is finally all put together minus the geese. What a relief to have it done. It’s a huge quilt but since I made the geese I am planning to put them on. I might change my mind tomorrow when I am sewing them all together but Imight as well use them.

Iceblossom I really like your top. It blends so much better than mine.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:41 AM

That's the same way I felt, Mumto2. I made them might as well use them. There were several border options that I liked better but, I know I would never use the geese since they were half yellow, half neutral. That would require another quilt. I liked the results in the end.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Me three. I know I wouldn't use them for another project and don't want them to just sit in my sewing room.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:09 AM

I've got one sashing strip left to put on to join the two halves. I'll be excited when this gets done. I'm planning on using the geese as well. I've already sewed them in strips and that went together pretty fast.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:27 AM

I saw a photo of the type of border I was considering as an option alongside the geese, and I've decided that I like the geese better. So I guess I will be making geese!
Old 02-07-2022, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

I measured the center of the top and cut my sashing accordingly but it was WAY off. I'm frustrated right now. I staystitched around the whole thing. Not sure what's going on.
Old 02-07-2022, 04:50 PM

I got a good start this morning and then decided I needed to go out and get dog food. Which I did, but I had car problems on the way home. Hate car problems, been just muttering to myself all afternoon.

Susie, I know I kept forgetting about adding the sashing on one end (either top/bottom or one of the sides) and wanted to cut my length before the top/bottom was on. I know -- I could just measure it but instead I did the layout along the butterfly straight line. That's really about all I got done today. My plan is to sew the top/bottom inner border on, then measure for the long border. I'll make the geese fit to the border before I put it on the quilt. Then, the top/bottom borders along with the 4 units we had left from the flower blocks for the corners.

Anyway, short form -- see if you just need some corner stones for the inner border first, and do you have the 4 squares for the corners of the goose border pulled out or still have to make/find??

The inner border sashing is also cut at a different size from the sashing. Just a small difference but enough to make a difference if you are keeping the sashing mesasurement in mind.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

Iceblossom, thanks for responding. It looks right to me. I used a measurement between the 2 sizes and it seems fine.
I'm working on the geese placement and 3 TIMES, I put them on wrong! Aarrrgghh! I love to torture myself, apparently.
I had the 4 corners all done a few weeks back.
I still can't believe how LARGE this quilt is. Haha
Old 02-08-2022, 04:45 AM

SusieQOH, I take 3 measurements for my sashings. One right through the middle, one on each side. I add them together then divide by 3 and that is the length I cut. Just the way I was taught and it seems to work for me.