Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 02-20-2022, 06:42 AM

I have finished steps one and three, skipping two for a while. I will make them when I am done with the center. No matter how much I check and double check seam allowances, my quilts always end up a touch on the larger size. The last few mystery quilts I did I had to add extra pieces into the borders, because the differences were too big to ease in. Think I will finish the A units all the way to the end, then start on the butterfly ones.

I seriously debated doing a simple nine patch for the butterfly unit, but I think I would run out of garnet, and I don't have any extra in my stash to supplement it with. Decisions, decisions!
Old 02-20-2022, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Iceblossom- my borders are just like yours! It really doesn't matter. Your top looks great!
Old 02-20-2022, 07:29 AM

Gorgeous top, Iceblossom!
Old 02-20-2022, 10:15 AM

Iceblossum: Your quilt is fabulous! I agree that the border is great.

Terry: Funny you should mention another Mystery Quilt. My RT still needs some kind of border, but I am thinking about doing the Laundry Basket Quilts 2022 Mystery Quilt. It starts on Feb 28 and goes for 2 weeks. I did the 2021 as a Mystery and the 2020 after the reveal. I learned a lot from both. In 2021, I was able to test out many of my AQ Qube dies which I had recently purchased and mostly my stash for blue/white quilt. For 2022, you need a special ruler or templates and the color palette is blue/white again.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:44 PM

Love the RT finishes! This has been a fun mystery. BH does such a great job.

SuzSLO - I did the 2020 Laundry Basket Mystery as well. It was fun. I downloaded the 2021 but didn't make it yet. I'm looking forward to this years. PDF templates are provided with the clues so I'm not daunted by needing a new ruler or template I really don't want to purchase. Since I just finished this mystery in blues, if I decide to do the LB mystery, I will again change the color way - depending on what I have hidden in the closet.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:48 PM

Oh SuzSLO! Why did you mention another mystery? LOL. I have made a couple of Edyta Sitar's quilts, now I will find out more about it. I agree with everyone about which way the geese fly on their quilt. It really doesnt make any difference There has not been one quilt on here finished or unfinished that I havent loved. Each is so unique. Mine gets here on Tuesday back from the longarmer. Just want to get it finished and sent off now. I am coming along on the Blooming Fields, about half way through now.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:32 PM

Iceblossom, I love the various colors you used in your quilt. Absolutely beautiful! I agree that it does not matter what way the geese fly! Who will know but you!!! Great finish!
Old 02-20-2022, 08:10 PM

Iceblossom, it is beautiful. Great job.

Leslie
Old 02-21-2022, 06:30 AM

Before this I was never one for a mystery quilt - too much of it is out of my control. But you guys made it so much fun. So - SuzSLO - you had to mention another mystery quilt, didn't you. I's always wanted to do a Edyta Sitar quilt, and this one may have to be the one.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:18 AM

The Laundry Basket mystery sounds like it will be an intensive type of mystery, with clues everyday but Sunday for two weeks -- kind of like an extended Merry Mayhem. Is that the impression others have?

My A blocks are going together pretty well. I have eight extra B blocks (because of doing 4x5) which I will deconstruct into setting units, then will make the other six setting units from scratch. Then it will be on to the geese; I'm looking forward to making the geese and using more of my pinks and yellows.