Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 02-01-2022, 08:43 AM

I got quite a bit done yesterday. I have the sections of the border done, including stay stitching the neutral side. I will be double checking my measurements but I should have plenty enough length of my backing polka dots to make the 4 diamonds for the middle of the borders out of it...

I have the missing neutrals/white cut for the setting triangles, all the sub-units are ready to be connected to each other. To make it easier on me, instead of using random garnet squares, I used one fabric that missed getting into the quilt and sewed that directly to my white.

Likewise, for the tiny corner stones -- no, not going to mess with individuals. All my tiny corners are the same (solid) purple fabric so I don't have to worry about any of the same fabrics touching. Just sewed them into strips before sub-cutting.

Today at Tuesday group I will be pinning the sashing bars to the blocks. Current goal is to have top put together by next Tuesday.
Old 02-01-2022, 01:53 PM

A reminder when I'm remembering -- the free clues/PDFs are only available for a limited time. For those that haven't started yet, make sure you get your downloads/print outs before Valentines Day After that, it will be available as a purchase. Probably would be easier to go from the published pattern but that's something I haven't done.

Here's the link to the start --
https://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/rh...ron-trail.html
Old 02-01-2022, 09:24 PM

Wow, such lovely finished tops and creative changes to the patterns.

Well I got distracted with life and have only been sewing a very little each day for the last 2 weeks. I have part 1 & 2 completed and squared. Part 3 is 1/4 done and part 4 is 1/2 way done. Hopefully I will have the parts 3-5 done by Friday. Then I can start putting the top together. I have decided to cut my sashing pieces (aqua) 1.5” from one of my aqua pieces and cut the other aqua border at 2.5”. Then just make extra FG pieces to do the border like in the pattern. I do plan to add an extra border to enlarge the top to as close as I can get to 90’ by 110-120”.

if I remember correctly, I forgot to print out a part or 2 from 2017 pattern, when I went to use the new printed pattern, I found it confusing It was the processs of figuring where I was in the project verses where to start on the new bought pattern. The directions were not written the same. That year’s project is currently a UFO. Later this year or next I plan to go back and complete.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:37 AM

Need your collective help on the border.

Skinny turquoise border only?

Geese per pattern?

HST with garnet?

Something else?
Attached Thumbnails img_1400.jpeg  
Old 02-03-2022, 08:53 AM

I'm not much help for decisions, Suzslo -- but I like your contrast between the aqua and cornerstones. I've been muttering at mine... Personally, I think you do need something on the outside and rather like that thing you've got going on the top.

I'm continuing to make progress -- it's amazing what happens when you (a) have fabric, and (b) actually sit down and sew.

I have my setting triangle units made but need to layout the top in progress and set/number them correctly. I'll be trimming them and stay stitching that raggedy edge before assembly into rows. I am putting on the sashings as an L shape so it works slightly different than the way Bonnie shows -- it works for me and I admit to being an old dog some times.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:17 AM

SuzSLO, I had been thinking of using the Grassy Creek border (string zig-zag), and was lucky that someone else had the idea and posted the result on Bonnie's Quiltville page. Looking at that alongside the goose border, I came to the conclusion that the regimental geese are a good match for the rather formal looking A-block. So I'm down to the idea of the geese per Bonnie, or a 3-color HST border that puts a light-colored (neutral or yellow) diamond between two other colors. But I'm thinking that might be too similar to the A-block center. So I may end up with the geese after all, but I've noticed that the smaller the quilt gets, the less I like the geese, so I think that if I end up using a goose border, the geese will be smaller (as I'm pretty sure I will wimp out and make a 4 x 5 quilt, even though I prefer the look of the full-size RT). Which is a long way of saying, I vote for the geese out of your three options.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:49 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I am right where several of you are also. Ready to put on the border. I think I will add a tiny maybe even flange cranberry to secure the triangles when I cut the squares if that makes sense. Then I will add the aqua blue and I don’t think I am going to use all those many geese either because frankly I think they make it look way too busy. Looking forward to everybody’s pictures. Still don’t know how to upload, so guess I can’t share mine.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:51 AM

SuzSLO - My initial impulse was to go with what you have going on the top. But as I looked at it, I decided that I like the geese border better. Any chance you have enough aqua to make an outer border out of that? I think that would tie the geese in with the rest of the quilt.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

SuzSLO- I LOVE the turquoise you used!
I think the flying geese would look great.
Old 02-03-2022, 04:45 PM

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments. Right now, I’m leaning toward just saying it’s done and not add a further border. I need to buy the backing and batting. I will probably continue to noodle on it while I wait for delivery.