Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend December 31-January 2, 2022 >

Virtual quilting weekend December 31-January 2, 2022

Virtual quilting weekend December 31-January 2, 2022

Old 01-01-2022, 07:15 PM

I made some great progress today. I got my first 2memory quilts laid out (identical blocks, just different sashing and backing). I got the sashing cut up quickly thanks to my new accuquilt. I was also able to see all the blocks for one quilt to be the sashing and press the seams.

I plan on sewing the second set tomorrow as well as cutting the horizontal sashing with the accuquilt.
Old 01-02-2022, 03:48 AM

Iceblossom, I’m sorry your DH tested for Covid and I hope you stay healthy and symptom free. I’m sure it makes you nervous…
Maine has the most cases it has ever had, even with the onset of Covid in Spring of 2020…it could be a result of holiday gatherings.
Old 01-02-2022, 05:05 AM

Tallchick- that’s gorgeous!

Iceblossom- I hope your hubby recovers quickly. Seems like everyone I know either has it now, has been exposed, or is having to stay away from family and friends who have it.

I am going to have to modify my goals some. Yesterday I spent half the day organizing a problem corner in my studio and also doing the first part of the Just Get it Done declutter challenge. After all that and walking Bubba, I took a bit of down time. Anyway, I got a bit more quilting done on the September colorblock, but not enough to be able to get it finished today. Since we will likely be getting snow tomorrow, I’m contemplating a quick run to the barn today (only my second visit back since the Sept. 8 Rocket man incident). So, my new goal for his weekend is to make more progress on quilting the Sept colorblock and get the background pieces cut for the Oct. colorblock.

Happy Quilting everyone!
Rob
Old 01-02-2022, 06:47 AM

This round is spreading fast including to those that have been fully vaccinated and boosted even. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to hit the vaccinated very hard -- but our hospital beds are still full of patients, most of whom were not vaccinated. It is important to understand that his symptoms were very mild, in a normal year he would have gone back to work on Monday. Mild sore throat, mild coughing, but tired and ran a low grade fever (never hit 100) on Saturday/Christmas. That's why I insisted he be tested, this is the transmission stage, when you are walking around and germy. We think maybe he was exposed while getting some dental work done -- not from the dentists but just from recirculated air in the building. But who knows? We don't have a lot of contact outside the house but he works. Don't know yet about contact tracing and such, how much is done.

With all this time being separate, I've been zipping along with the Bonnie Hunter Blocks, will get them done after this cup of coffee. Then, I'm going to see if I can get the remaining "not sewing" out of the sewing room. Because I did get a couple of tops quilted down back in 2021 (good riddance 2021 -- hello 2022), I have some room in my tubs of unquilted tops (which all have backs and bindings already made) to put the couple extra wide backs I picked up this year.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:41 AM

I started a Chocolatier (?sp) quilt kit that I got in Ankeny, IA. So far I got 6 blocks done out of 20 blocks.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:57 AM

It's great to see how many different projects and tasks are getting done this weekend. Way to go, everyone! For me, I've done more thinking about than actual accomplishing my goals, but I still feel some progress has been made. I have 95% decided on a layout and did a bit more trimming but the actual finishing of the quilt will have to wait a little bit longer, I think. Such is life. :-) Another weather warning in our neck of the woods - this time it's high winds. Going to take a few minutes to make sure our flashlights, candles, matches, and thermoses of hot water are ready to go, just in case. If we do lose power, I can probably keep warm just folding and reorganizing fabric, as long as I have enough light to see by!
Old 01-02-2022, 09:01 AM

I made a table cloth yesterday. I had a yard left over so I made a pillowcase for a friend that hurt her arm. The group on here seem to be doing a lot of sewing. Happy New Year.
Old 01-02-2022, 09:11 AM

IceBlossom- you speak the truth. I've been watching the numbers locally and we are 200% increase in cases over the past 14 days. Crazy numbers! Again- the vaccinated have mild cases that they can ride out at home but the unvaccinated have a much more difficult time.

And I have had some home time myself. My father accidentally exposed us over Christmas. There were no testing appts available locally and we were completely asymptomatic. So we just rode out the quarantine period at home.
​​​​​​
I used the time to completely quilt and bind my cousin's wedding quilt - shadow box with some big florals. And I made a pink and grey scrappy squares. Put the borders on last night. I'm going to see about basting today. I think I want to do orange peels on it as a practice for a big lone star. I also sewed up some scraps into "Spot in the middle" (32) and some HSTs (28 of those). Very productive.

Also organized my fabric storage. And used the 15 min org technique from Karen Brown for a disorder pile that needed tending. (Not sewing stuff - but we all have lives beyond). I admit - loved it. Forced me to take care of something I've been avoiding for months. 5 stars

​​​​​​
Old 01-02-2022, 09:11 AM

Hi - this is a quick 'drive by' update, as I have to go and put dinner on.

But wanted to celebrate that I have so far managed to make some good progress on my Cats & Pumpkins tablerunner - I'm just doing single-hatch handquilting of the central section at the moment, with a bit of echo quilting for the actual cat and pumpkin shapes (I'll try to post a photo later).

I've also spent a couple of chunks of time on the wardrobe in my sewing room, which is a dumping ground for stuff-I-don't-know-where-to-put-or-need-to-sort-out. It has been gradually mounting up, and I've been giving it the side eye for probably about 3 years... I've sorted out enough that you can see it has made a dent, but there is still a long way to go. Still, progress is good, right?

Hope everyone else is having fun - I'll need to come back and catch up on my reading this evening :-)
Old 01-02-2022, 11:27 AM

I just finished my Dresden Sunburst wall hanging! . I think I’m going to make a quilt version with an oceanic scene.