Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap >

2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap

2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap

Old 06-04-2022, 03:10 PM

Unfortunately I just mailed all the June's today. Was rushed out of town Tomy daughters to help with kids while she got over food poison, which landed her at hospital wed. I have the 4 kids till sun, but hubby was able to run them to p.o.today. Sorry they may be a little late.
Old 06-05-2022, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by IrishMom View Post
I saw another fun use of our birthday candies on this board - check out Irish Mist. I love the use of blue squares.

Irish Mist
Yes, yes, I saw that one too! A good one for our little treats! Thanks for posting it to our group, Irish Mom. Interesting that you found a quilt named Irish Mist! Tee-Hee-Hee!
Old 06-06-2022, 04:06 PM

Well, our winner, winner, chicken dinner is...............NZQuilt. She guessed 2438 and my total was 2288 little 2.5 out of my collection and into quilts for Project Linus. One is large was made from started quilt tops and projects of all sizes that never reached the finish line. I don't even know when they were started or what I intended to do with them in the end. I just grabbed and added. Lots of calculating and matching and to make the odds and ends all fit together. The medium sized was planned and about half finished when found in my WIP basket. The small quilt was planned and will be my practice piece for spiral quilting. .

I will likely to this again over the 4th of July holiday since it is another 4-day holiday weekend. Any one want to join me? I am thinking of a row quilt or quilts with 2.5's and alternating something.

NZ your package will go in the mail ASAP.
Thanks to all who took part none of you were too far off. Happy stitching.

(Sorry about the sideways photos, usually they flip.)
Attached Thumbnails 2022-05-31-400-2.5s.jpg   2022-05-31-672-2.5s-resized.jpg   2022-05-31-1216-2.5-reszed.jpg  
Old 06-06-2022, 04:38 PM

Default Look what I found!

In my new issue of American Patchwork & Quilting is a beauty which requires 1572 2.5" candies along with 2.5" strips for binding. Take a look!
Attached Thumbnails img_0960.jpg   img_0959.jpg  
Old 06-06-2022, 05:05 PM

Great job using your 2.5’ sqs in your UFOs. I like the second and third ones a lot.

Gaijin, thank you for a lovely pattern source. Such a pretty top.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

Congrats, NZQuilter! Good guess!

Your three quilts are lovely, WMUT! For the ones with colors alternated with white squares, I've discovered if you cross hatch all the white ones only, it ends up looking a lot like a 'Square in a Square' quilt.

Thank you for sharing that beautiful quilt idea, Gaijin. That would be a good way to use our light pastel squares.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:47 PM

I'm loving all these ideas but I don't have anywhere close to thousands of squares to work with, yet. One of the these days I will make a dent in my fabric but cutting out tons of these candies and getting to work running them through the machine.

I hope you are all having a wonderful end of spring. Pollen count is high where I am. The humidity and heat are trying to kill me. Stay hydrated everyone!
Old 06-06-2022, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gannyrosie View Post
Unfortunately I just mailed all the June's today. Was rushed out of town Tomy daughters to help with kids while she got over food poison, which landed her at hospital wed. I have the 4 kids till sun, but hubby was able to run them to p.o.today. Sorry they may be a little late.
I sure hope she feels better soon! I am glad you were able to help. Family first always!
Old 06-06-2022, 06:49 PM

Gannyrosie, I bet your envelopes will arrive just fine. Gaijin, that is a stunning quilt! I will have to go a hunting for a copy of the magazine. I'm wondering if any of my local "quilty" friends have it or my local library.. Thanks for sharing with us.

Sewbiz, I usually do cross hatch my checkerboards. Never paid much attention to the secondary effect of the diagonal stitching of just one color. Will be more attentive on the larger pink and white quilt and will "crosshatch" just the white squares.

I am in the middle of making 400 HSTs for a green and white Barn Raising quilt. Had a few started for some project or another and some more that were donated from a friend. Same friend gave me multitudes of green scraps. So off to work I go! Hoping to have 200 finished by tomorrow night. Hope I can assemble them soon. Made one last year, picture attached. It makes a good adolescent sized quilt for PL and even if it has flowers in the fabric scraps it makes an acceptable quilt for males.

Attached Thumbnails 2021-2-13-green-off-set-barn-raising-resized.jpg  
Old 06-07-2022, 06:06 AM

Wow, I wasn't expecting to win. Everyone seemed very close with the guesses. Thanks for the fun contest, WMUTeach! Your quilts are beautiful and a wonderful use of candies!

Gannyrosie, I hope your daughter feels better soon! Food poisoning can be really scary.
​​​​​​