Fabric Moratorium 2022

Old 10-08-2022, 07:40 AM

I always shop from my stash first as I can barely move around my sewing room. I pretty much haven't ordered/bought any fabric since Nov 2018 and I'm so proud of myself for that. Yes, I've entered into fabric shops since then but left with no fabrics in hand. I'm amazed and sticker shocked at how the prices have risen so much in just a few years but then everything seems to have risen so I shouldn't be all that surprised.
Old 10-08-2022, 03:11 PM

I have been on the shop from the stash bandwagon since before COVID. Good progress. I bought one yard of cream on cream today to finish some exchange blocks. All the rest of the fabric requirements are from stash. Yeah, I have plenty stash to use for the rest of my remaining years. As stated before, my goal is for most of my fabric to be gone when I leave this world. Making visible progress.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:40 PM

Thanks for all the good wishes. I'll be honest, some days I wonder what we were thinking - life was so sweetly peaceful before the puppy arrived. I haven't been able to even get near the sewing room this weekend, but it's nice to think that she might be the reason for some more stash shopping for projects for her use. :-)

Thanks also for all of the great stash shopping stories you shared - success stories are always welcome, as are tumbles off the wagon, as that's something most of us can relate to, too!

Last edited by Gemm; 10-08-2022 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
Thanks for all the good wishes. I'll be honest, some days I wonder what we were thinking - life was so sweetly peaceful before the puppy arrived. I haven't been able to even get near the sewing room this weekend, but it's nice to think that she might be the reason for some more stash shopping for projects for her use. :-)

Thanks also for all of the great stash shopping stories you shared - success stories are always welcome, as are tumbles off the wagon, as that's something most of us can relate to, too!
So what kind of puppy?
Old 10-09-2022, 04:39 PM

Gemm puppies are so fun and it'll grow out of the needy stage before you know it. Enjoy!

I like the idea of picking backing first. I'll give that a try next time I start a project. I found picking one of my oldest fabrics and picking coordinating fabric very satisfying earlier in the year and that's a good challenge on using my stash.
I haven't purchased any fabric for awhile. Not even my birthday month that just passed. Woohoo!!
I'm currently sewing on three projects, quilting another and have two quilts I want to start when I get a few completed.
Have a good quilt week!
Old 10-11-2022, 09:32 AM

Choosing a backing and choosing a fabric that has been sitting in stash are both great ideas for starting points. I will definitely try to keep those tips in mind.

Our new pup is a corgi (photo attached - because she is rarely behaving herself unless she's asleep or on her way there, that's what almost all of our pictures show. Don't believe the innocent eyes!). I actually made it into the sewing room this morning, only to have to run back out to go and rescue a table leg... I guess I forgot to close her pen!

Happy quilting everyone! :-)
Attached Thumbnails img_7635.jpg  
Old 10-11-2022, 01:38 PM

Went to Joann’s today. Walked out with ideas and “I’ll be back Friday with plans for my purchase.” I’m making progress to deliberate shopping. 🤔☺️
Old 10-11-2022, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
Choosing a backing and choosing a fabric that has been sitting in stash are both great ideas for starting points. I will definitely try to keep those tips in mind.

Our new pup is a corgi (photo attached - because she is rarely behaving herself unless she's asleep or on her way there, that's what almost all of our pictures show. Don't believe the innocent eyes!). I actually made it into the sewing room this morning, only to have to run back out to go and rescue a table leg... I guess I forgot to close her pen!

Happy quilting everyone! :-)
OMG! That pup is so adorable. Love her. How old is she?
Old 10-12-2022, 09:19 AM

Darling puppy! Corgi's have the best reputation.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:55 PM

She's 16 weeks old. Corgis are great dogs, but as they're working dogs, they can also be a handful if they're not properly/responsibly trained. Intelligence = much mischief making!

In the interest of keeping this thread on track, I'm attaching a picture of part of the quilt top I'm hoping eventually to turn into a quilt for her. A utilitarian quilt par excellence, if it ever gets finished... fingers crossed!
Attached Thumbnails img_7666.jpg