Fabric Moratorium 2022

Old 10-13-2022, 09:27 AM

Looks great, Gemm!
Old 10-14-2022, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Went to Joann’s today. Walked out with ideas and “I’ll be back Friday with plans for my purchase.” I’m making progress to deliberate shopping. 🤔☺️
Love the phrase "deliberate shopping". Conveys the perfect idea - doesn't eliminate purchases but creates space for thought first
Old 10-14-2022, 11:29 PM

It’s Friday and did the deliberate shopping.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:32 AM

Yes, an excellent phrase! We are deliberate shoppers.
Old 10-22-2022, 02:54 PM

A couple of pictures to celebrate progress (I wish I could say a finish, but baby steps are still steps forward, right?) on this project.

The front, as I have mentioned before, was made about 25 years ago out of a frighteningly random selection of often non-cotton fabrics. I have just added the two white strips on the sides to make it the size I wanted. The back is a collection of 9-7/8" squares (don't talk to me - they were supposed to be 10" but, well, I'm going to blame poor focus while cutting on the puppy). :-) The Looney Tunes and bright green fabrics were a gift from a QB friend and the rest of the fabrics were in a bag of "what am I going to do with these?" A couple were suspected, again, of not being cotton and there really is limited use for beer advertising in quilts. :-) All in all, I'm really quite pleased with how nice and bright it is and am looking forward to replacing the old towels that are currently protecting the back seat of the car from dog hair and dirty paws.

As a final win - I am using an old mattress pad as batting and my usual pin basting is not going to cut it so I headed off to the LQS and walked out with... a can of spray baste!!! Nothing else!!! :-D

Now I just need some time and space to layer things up and get it basted then stitched together. Baby steps!
Attached Thumbnails poppys-car-quilt-front.jpg   poppys-car-quilt-back.jpg  

Last edited by Gemm; 10-22-2022 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 03:32 AM

Well, my quilty friends, here is a photo of an "all from stash" quilt I finished at a retreat a week ago. In Post 293, I mentioned starting with the back and using those colors as inspiration for the colors on the front of the quilt. The quilt in the attached photo was a mystery project from my quilt group. The top is done, the back is cut and it will go out to be quilted this week. (I quilt most of my own but now and again, one requires something different.) I have to mention the photo colors are a bit off. The back fabric looks green but it is really turquoise as in the top. Every bit of this quilt is from stash Yeah!, and I have enough left overs/scraps to make a baby quilt.

The backing fabric came from a shop that was closing and selling everything right to the walls. So... why not choose something that was out of my style and color zone. Less than a year later we started the mystery with directions to not use large scale prints. My backing was perfect. It contained the number of colors needed and I had them all in my color bins waiting to be cut up and stitched together. Another Yeah!. Success all around in my book.
Attached Thumbnails 2022-10-15-mystery-quilt-resized.jpg  
Old 10-23-2022, 03:45 AM

Default Quilt of Hope

Here is another "all from stash" finish, even the back. The pattern is from an online friend from Australia and was easy to create with the odds and ends I had in my stash. It could easily be made larger if desired. This one will go to Project Linus and finished at 48" square.

Attached Thumbnails 2022-10-19-quilt-hope-m.hamilton-donation-pl.jpg   2022-10-19-quilt-hope-donated.jpg  
Old 10-23-2022, 05:33 AM

WMU, those are absolutely amazing from-stash finishes. To be honest, I think they'd be absolutely amazing all-fabric-bought-new-for-the-project finishes! This is a perfect demonstration of how well stash can be used to create something beautiful and coordinated. I confess that I do envy you your obviously larger-than-my collection of large pieces to work with, but your second share makes it clear that yardage isn't necessary to make something look totally planned from the start. Thanks, as always, for the inspiration!
Old 10-23-2022, 08:38 AM

Gemm, most of my steps are baby steps these days.

Beautiful work, WMUTeach! That is a very lovely mystery quilt.

Last week I did the inventory of my bundles that remain after my prepping project. All of my fabric areas are now nicely organized, I'm happy to say.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:09 AM

I do have to say that my backing sized stash has been disappearing since Covid. I don't have much left but that is my goal, right?. Get it out of the closet and into quilts!!. Now and again I will stumble on yardage that is such a bargain that I buy 6 yard cuts without a plan for it, such as what was used for my mystery quilt. Those true bargain always get used at some time for some quilt.

I am thriving on the sewing from stash concept. After about 6 years, I have diminished my stash considerably and perhaps once a year purchase fabric specifically for a quilt I have plenty to use or should I say, use up. My stash is the first store I shop at when planning a quilt. So far it has worked well.