Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To make or???? >

To make or????

To make or????

Old 03-27-2022, 09:57 AM

Default To make or????

Some input would be greatly appreciated, as I get older it seems that times change and perhaps I am not aware of current “norms”, so here I am asking for your help and feedback with this.

For Christmas I made my neighbors a queen size quilt for their bed. They are indeed Quilt Worthy and really do appreciate hand made items. They were both over the moon with the quilt, however there was a bit of an argument over who would get to use it. I had no idea of their sleeping arrangements, it is certainly none of my business, but she quickly stated that it would be on her bed and he was SOL! The look of disappointment flashed across his face but nothing more was said. In January she called to once again thank me for the quilt, she just loved it. During this call, she casually said she should commission me to make a quilt for her husband and asked me how long it took to make their quilt. When I told her it took me about 6 weeks she grew silent for a moment then changed the subject.

1: I made the quilt for THEM and it was clearly a joint gift as stated in the letter included. So I am saddened by this power play. But, not my monkey, not my circus.

2: I would like to go ahead and make him a quilt of his own and just gift it to him. Do I make him the same quilt but in colors he likes (I do know his favorite colors) ? Or should I do something different in a smaller size (twin/full)?

3: Or do I just not make him a quilt and let it go?

I really don’t want to ask for their input because at the end of the day I don’t want either of them to feel uncomfortable or feel that they need to pay for anything. In the future, couples will each get their own quilts.

Last edited by tallchick; 03-27-2022 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

I would make him the same quilt in his colors. Maybe the wife won't claim that one. LOL I like making a quilt and giving it to someone that is quilt worthy. It a good feeling.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:41 AM

I would make him one in his colors. Same pattern. It sounds like he will appreciate your effort and since she asked and backed off when you told her the time frame, she will appreciate it also.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:48 AM

I don't suppose there is any way you could 'casually' find out what size his bed is. It would be nicer to make a quilt in his colours that would actually fit his bed.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:12 AM

My daughter and son-in-law have a king size bed, but it is split in the center with a king size bottom and two twins on top. Their 'twins mattresses' are each made up like you would twin beds. I am making them each a quilt, the same design, but in their favorite colors with the borders the same color on both of them to tie them in together. They love the idea of the quilts being the same design and with them being different colors.

So, I say go for his favorite colors, with the same design. That way, they match, but are each their own!
Old 03-27-2022, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I don't suppose there is any way you could 'casually' find out what size his bed is. It would be nicer to make a quilt in his colours that would actually fit his bed.

He sleeps on the couch in the living room or a futon/couch in their enclosed front porch so I am assuming full/double size for the futon. This came up in the “this is going on my bed” interlude. I do know that their house is just 2 bedrooms and their adult daughter still lives with them. I have never been inside their home. The only reason I knew they have a queen size bed is because I was cleaning out and downsizing my linens and asked if she wanted any and she came and took some of the queen sized sets I had.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

When I was "much " younger, I thought it was awful for married people to sleep separately.

I sleep better by myself now. Some things change over time. Sigh.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

A lot of my married friends have separate bedrooms. One husband has a sleep machine, one is constantly moving in his sleep and one has very different bed times. Makes sense to me. I sometimes sleep in the spare bedroom if I have to get up earlier then my husband. No need for him to have to wake up and vice versa. And we always sleep in separate bedrooms if one of us are sick. It's common sense and considerate.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

My favorite quilt is about 65 x 85 inches. Fairly manageable when sleeping on the couch, but big enough for added warmth on our queen size bed when we are both under it. A bit skimpy, but workable on the bed.

Last edited by bearisgray; 03-27-2022 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-27-2022, 12:54 PM

I agree with Bearisgray, the perfect size is 65 x 85, easy to fold up in the morning. Maybe a matching pillow case, to keep it in?