Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To make or???? >

To make or????

To make or????

Old 03-28-2022, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Many years ago, I was making a two- layer fleece blanket. For some reason, I had to wash it. I learned then that fleece did not shrink evenly. I had to completrely unsee it and redo it , so it would lay flat.

So my suggestion is to wash the fleecr pieces before sewing them
Old 03-28-2022, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback!

1: Yes, we all have preferred sleeping arrangements, this was not a judgement on their arrangement or anyone else’s. When I was married I would have preferred separate rooms as he was a extreme snorer, so by all means do what is best for you!

2: Yes, I felt her actions were rude in claiming the quilt as her own. And, rather ballsy to ask about a quilt for him because she decided she won’t share with him despite it being a gift for them, NOT just her. Yes, she did imply hiring, but I don’t think she was aware of how long it takes to make a quilt, and is certainly not aware of cost of supplies, especially today.

3: I am going to go ahead and make him his own quilt, in his colors and I will do the same size. I would not feel right making him a lesser quilt. They are hoping to sell their home this year so perhaps he will get his own room with a bed he can use and display his own quilt. I contemplated a different pattern, but am afraid she may claim that one too saying she liked it better!

Thank you all for your feedback and thoughts, it’s nice to have a place to get feedback for Quilty Issues. At the end of the day I am thankful that my quilt's are appreciated and I know that this next one will also be appreciated and used.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:57 AM

Can you meet with the husband in the front/back yard and give him his quilt in private so you can see how he feels about having his own quilt?
Just a thought to keep it between him and yourself.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

1: Yes, we all have preferred sleeping arrangements, this was not a judgement on their arrangement or anyone else’s. When I was married I would have preferred separate rooms as he was a extreme snorer, so by all means do what is best for you!

2: Yes, I felt her actions were rude in claiming the quilt as her own. And, rather ballsy to ask about a quilt for him because she decided she won’t share with him despite it being a gift for them, NOT just her. Yes, she did imply hiring, but I don’t think she was aware of how long it takes to make a quilt, and is certainly not aware of cost of supplies, especially today.

3: I am going to go ahead and make him his own quilt, in his colors and I will do the same size. I would not feel right making him a lesser quilt. They are hoping to sell their home this year so perhaps he will get his own room with a bed he can use and display his own quilt. I contemplated a different pattern, but am afraid she may claim that one too saying she liked it better!

Thank you all for your feedback and thoughts, it’s nice to have a place to get feedback for Quilty Issues. At the end of the day I am thankful that my quilt's are appreciated and I know that this next one will also be appreciated and used.
I agree that she probably had no clue how much time/money/effort goes into making a quilt, and didn’t think it was a big deal to imply that you could just whip another one up for her husband.
Once that started to become clear to her, she realised it was an unreasonable ask, and backed down.
It’s very nice of you to think of making another, but you could save it until next Chrismas, and it can be presented as ‘another’ quilt; not just a quilt for him.

As DH and I have gotten older, his snoring has gotten much worse, and my hearing more sensitive. A bad combination to be sure, and one that has me often going to sleep in my own bed, but waking in the spare room!
Old 03-28-2022, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

Lisa, you are very kind in not wanting the husband to be left out or disappointed. I'd make him his own quilt, too.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Your plan sounds perfect.
Old 04-05-2022, 10:39 PM

Since you are going to make him a quilt- I'd do one thing to make sure he got to use for himself.... Make sure HIS name is 'front & center' on the quilt, both front & back!!! Could be name on the permanent label, worked into the quilting, a name block. Something such that she can't claim it. She sounds like a real piece of work!
Good luck
sewverybusy1
Old 04-09-2022, 08:30 PM

Wow. You would think a loving wife would share, maybe on her bed for a month, then his bed for a month, etc. I kinda feel bad for the guy.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:28 AM

I would make him a large throw/twin in his colors and a pattern that would be quick but one that looks spectacular and call it done.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:34 AM

I've run into people thinking I was being selfish for grabbing something for myself, but they don't know how rare it is for me to do that. I was raised that Mom/Wife got the last. DH and I got married at 18 and had kids right away, and money was very tight while they were growing up, so I got use to going without, and making sure that DH and kids had the best of whatever it was that we got.

So for the few times I grab first and hang on tight, DH will often look disappointed and others look on me poorly, but DH is only doing it because he's use to getting first dibs. He does admit that he's rather spoiled when it comes down to it.