Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Fresh Eggs >

Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs

Old 04-27-2022, 02:45 AM

The shells are thicker. We watched a clip on America's Funniest Videos we named, "Tap, tap, blow." Didn't work on our fresh eggs! The idea is to remove small amount of shell at top (for blow hole), then, tap, tap, tap on bottom before blowing out the boiled egg.
Old 04-27-2022, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I have heard that any egg cooked in a insta-pot is really easy to peel so if you have one of those, try it.
I agree. The Instant Pot is the way to go. On days when I decide I am to lazy to do that and use a pot in the stove I always regret it.

also I just read something in preserving eggs by “glassing them” in case anyone knows about that.

I buy Pasture Raised eggs. My research for whatever it is worth tells mw they are better for the chickens than even free range. And dark yellow almost orange yolks. And agree about needing some cholesterol Jan the body for brain. Function.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
The shells are thicker. We watched a clip on America's Funniest Videos we named, "Tap, tap, blow." Didn't work on our fresh eggs! The idea is to remove small amount of shell at top (for blow hole), then, tap, tap, tap on bottom before blowing out the boiled egg.
My DD saw a video on this, and did it, we were laughing so hard….especially when I tried it! Eventually I succeeded but not easily, and you wouldn’t want someone else “shelling” your egg for you.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:47 PM

I've had chickens most of my adult life. A couple of years ago, I bought 25 chicks from McMurray's to freshen up my flock of 10-12 older hens. I was expecting to give half of the new chicks to my dau, but she backed out,so I ended up with 35 chickens. We had several roosters and last spring all of those new hens went broody and started hatching even more chicks. We now have about 60+chickens!!! We've been eating eggs, giving away eggs, feeding them to our dogs, selling them...you name it. We've had to cull some roosters and that meat feeds the dogs too. My dau has found an organization that will take our eggs as a donation to a homeless shelter. I'm still waiting on that.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:54 AM

we have just six Easter Eggers who theoretically lay every other day, although occasionally they are more prompt than that.

I date the eggs with a pencil when I pick them up and do the oldest for hard boiled for the dogs breakfast. Steam 20 minutes. Never a problem peeling.
If production gets ahead of us I gift a basket to the next door neighbor, and then scramble some for the girls back to them. Saves of chicken feed, we feed all kinds of leftovers to them.
Attached Thumbnails first-easter-egger-eggs-3nd-week-july-2020.jpg  
Old 05-10-2022, 03:38 AM

I have been making Creme Brulee! I have changed vanilla extract to almond, strawberry, or raspberry extract. I even added 2 T cocoa, which made it seem like chocolate pudding. It's super easy.
1 ˝ C Half n Half

3 egg yolks

˝ C Splenda

1 t vanilla

Heat half n half and vanilla to just before boiling.

Beat egg yolks and Splenda in a bowl.

Temper hot liquid into eggs.

Pour into individual ramekins placed on pan.

Pour hot water to halfway up outsides of ramekins.

Bake 30 minutes, turning halfway.
350°
Old 05-11-2022, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

Funny thing chickens use to be free ranged, meaning they roamed around and would eat anything they came across. Someone decided it was best for everyone to cage them and feed them chicken feed. Now they sing the praises of free range again. I guess no one remembers that.