Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Recommendations Wanted! >

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Old 11-06-2023, 07:20 AM

Saw this recent list of SciFi that everyone should read --
https://stacker.com/art-culture/100-...ovels-all-time

Turns out, I've already been exposed to most of these, but I did find 3 that I haven't read and were available as audio format. The list is heavy on "classic" writers like Heinlein (way too many Heinlein titles in my opinion), Clarke and Asimov but makes attempts for more inclusive (and less problematic) authors.

One of the more recent authors I already mentioned in this thread, Becky Chambers and "The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet".
Old 11-09-2023, 02:21 AM

I'm halfway through the new John Grisham book, which is a sequel to The Firm, and not enjoying it. The plot doesn't move.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:56 AM

Is doubly disappointing when a really anticipated book isn't quite what you wanted... I think I mentioned that I was somewhat disappointed in the latest Jack Reacher/Lee and Lincoln Child book but I'm not seeing that post right off... maybe it was one where I timed out. It was a perfectly adequate action story set in Reacher's military days, but what I like is Reacher's travels and thoughts and owning nothing lifestyle and how that works for him. I also recognize that I really miss Dick Hill's narration -- sadly Dick died last fall. Scott Brick has taken over the narration duties, and while he's great I have his voice in my head for other stories/characters and not so much for Reacher.

I just finished Michael Connolly's latest Lincoln Lawyer book -- i was much happier with that one than the Reacher book. Is sad that Harry Bosch (character) is on his last legs, aging and with stage 4 cancer. Titus Welliver who plays Bosch on the tv show is one of the narrators (Bosch's part).

While speaking of narrators, I was surprised when I looked at how many series I've listened to with George Guidall as narrator, currently it is the Longmire books. I found he also did the Tony Hillerman books with Leaphorn and Chee -- I read those visually instead of by audio. But also the Vince Flynn/character Mitch Rapp books and some of the Gabriel Allon books by Daniel Silva and many others, classics and modern works both. Sometimes when looking for new books I check out the narrators instead of the authors!
Old 11-10-2023, 06:24 AM

I’m still working my way through Kyla Stone’s Edge books. They are so very good!

I did listen to The Exchange the sequel to The Firm when it first came out. It wasn’t The Firm but it could have been worse, it was slow. I was mainly sad that my imagination of their lives was just so wrong! I really don’t think long awaited sequels are ever awesome.
Old 11-10-2023, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

I like to look at the best seller list from decades ago. I have found some great books that seem to be forgotten.
The Clan of the Cave Bear Series
Thorn Birds
All books by James A. Michener, Sidney Shelton and John Steinbeck.

Old 11-11-2023, 06:14 AM

George Guidall...I could listen to him reading someone's grocery list.

Has anyone mentioned the Chet and Bernie mystery books by Spencer Quinn? Chet the dog narrates them. The mysteries are complex, the stories from Chet's world view are simple and often make me laugh.
And don't discount listening to the Harry Potter books if you haven't yet, Narrated by Jim Dale. Wonderful.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:37 AM
mim

may I suggest Paul Doiron. He writes about a game warden in Maine. Wardens in Maine are the police for any crime off roads so he has a lot of plots for poachers, bootleggers, smugglers and murders. Paul used to be a policeman in Portland Maine. I find his characters well fleshed out. Each book stands alone as well as nice to have a few remembered people.

I've been "away" for a few years, but now am back Mim

Old 11-15-2023, 10:47 AM

Welcome back Mim! I also recommend the Paul Doiron stories, sadly I am caught up with them so have to wait for the next

I did put a Chet and Bernie book on hold. Just finished the 2nd book in Jim Butchers new series, The Olympian Affair. It's been a couple of years since the first one and I had forgotten a lot. Probably will need to listen to book 1 again and then book 2. I miss the Dresden files this is nothing like them, more of a steampunk crossed with the dragon books Kalama recommended. Humans on a hostile world with political organizations arranged by "spires" that go high into the sky with pirates on flying ships...

Next up is "What the River Knows" by Isabel Ibanez -- which also states is Book 1 or a new series. I'm thinking I maybe am better off being a few books behind on series order.
Old 11-17-2023, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
These are quite different (no dragons or Amish folk!) but I just loved them. Non-fiction.
"Following Atticus," by Tom Ryan. Man climbs mountains in NH, accompanied by his little dog. But it is so much more than that. He's a great writer.
Then I found his second book, "Will's Red Coat", about taking in an aged blind, deaf dog and caring for him in his last years. But not just caring, giving him a fantastic life.

If anyone likes dogs, I recommend both of these.
Thanks for your recommendation, my library carries them, and I just finished Following Atticus, and have Will’s Red Coat to start tonight.
Old 11-20-2023, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
These are quite different (no dragons or Amish folk!) but I just loved them. Non-fiction.
"Following Atticus," by Tom Ryan. Man climbs mountains in NH, accompanied by his little dog. But it is so much more than that. He's a great writer.
Then I found his second book, "Will's Red Coat", about taking in an aged blind, deaf dog and caring for him in his last years. But not just caring, giving him a fantastic life.

If anyone likes dogs, I recommend both of these.
Thanks for these, ptquilts. I'm currently caring for 2 older dogs one of which has a liver tumor and isn't always doing very well. These sound like they'd be good to read