Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Dec 16-12/26/23 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Dec 16-12/26/23

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Dec 16-12/26/23

Old 12-18-2023, 03:18 AM

Aashley, what an awesome project. Patience and organization....Platyhiker amazing paper piece project. Love the layout.

Last edited by Quiltah Mama; 12-18-2023 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 12-18-2023, 03:21 AM

Totally missed this weekend, but.... I finished lots of things not quilt related because I wasn't distracted by my projects in the sewing room. Today is add a binding day. Whoo-Hoo! The quilt is for a Christmas gift, but not gifting until New Year's Eve, so I have a little bit of extra time. After that one is off the "To Do List" my quilting time will be limited until after Christmas when I begin to organize my UFOs and unfinished projects for 2024. January in my neck of the snowing and cold woods is terrific time to manage and finish those projects that got left behind.

This weekend was productive for so many of you. Wow! What nice projects. Platyhiker's Hexiday is magnificent, pillow cases, finished bed quilts and even a temporary quilting space with music and of course BH Winter Mystery. Go, goodness did you see that sea horse. Amazing! Happy Quilting all and to all many blessings during this Christmas season.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 12-18-2023 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-18-2023, 04:59 AM

I am humbled by the creative minds and talent on this board. I did manage to get the borders figured and attached to my One Block Wonder top. For the time being it is on the design wall while I figure how to quilt it. With all the business it needs to be something simple. I thought about stitching in the ditch diagonally but hate the thought of all that entails. I try to avoid stitch in the ditch as i can never seem to stay in the ditch. Maybe wine would help? LOL While those thoughts are percolating, I am making star blocks for another project. The weather today is more wind and rain, making it the perfect day to be sewing. I hope everyone making gifts for Christmas are able to complete them all without staying up until 4 am. Have a wonderful and safe holiday everyone.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:22 AM

Good morning! Thanks to all! I love the hexiday! I made a mosaic table similar to that idea. I think I have a pic.
I pinned pieces last night while watching the Cowboys lose. Boo-Hoo. I hope to make progress on the tail today. I take the attitude of one block at a time so that the pattern's vastness doesn't overwhelm. I like intricate and time consuming, and experimenting with fabric and designs.
I was almost finished with my temperature quilt when I ran out of background fabric. I started the seahorse while waiting for more fabric to arrive, but now I must keep my head on the symbols for the seahorse pattern.
Attached Thumbnails celtic-mosaic.jpg  
Old 12-18-2023, 06:50 AM

Lena1952 -- if you have it available on your sewing machine, sounds like your grid quilting idea might be perfect for the serpentine stitch, that is sort of a multistitch zig zag. Basically you point the direction and your machine will do the work for you. The wavy line is more forgiving to both staying where you want and if your piecing has a few irregularities. Close is good enough! I press open and another thing I like about it is both sides of the seam allowance are stitched down.

Some people are able to do the little waves themself, but I lack the regularity for small repeats. Doesn't mean you can do larger repeats, even over several inches, just make sure it looks deliberate
Old 12-18-2023, 07:02 AM

I'm quilting a quilt for my grand-nephew. It's a "soccer" quilt. They live across the country, so I don't see them often. I knew he was in to Soccer, so bought this kit. (Thanks, Iceblossom.) I should finish the quilting today. Hopefully, I'll make progress on the binding, too. This one turned out to be more work than the one I made for his sister (3 yard quilt). Both are Christmas presents.

I'm also working on a quilt for me. I love the colors. (I'm not sure how big I will make it.) I have made about 1/2 the blocks.I'll go back to it after the Soccer quilt is done.

bkay
Attached Thumbnails soccer-quilt.jpg  
Old 12-18-2023, 03:11 PM

WMUTeach--good luck organizing your UFOS and unfinished projects for 2024. I hope to do the same before the end of the year. Maybe that will be my goal for NYE/New Years!

I did some hand embroidery while at the shop with my friend today. We only stayed a few hours. Forecast was calling for snow squalls and whiteouts so we left early. I wasn't home five minutes before a squall hit. She said she was driving through them (she was west and I headed east). But we had a good time while we were there! I'm catching up on some computer stuff before watching the Holiday Baking Championship finale. I'm home Wed-Sat so hope to get lots done later in the week.
Old 12-19-2023, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Lena1952 -- if you have it available on your sewing machine, sounds like your grid quilting idea might be perfect for the serpentine stitch, that is sort of a multistitch zig zag. Basically you point the direction and your machine will do the work for you. The wavy line is more forgiving to both staying where you want and if your piecing has a few irregularities. Close is good enough! I press open and another thing I like about it is both sides of the seam allowance are stitched down.

Some people are able to do the little waves themself, but I lack the regularity for small repeats. Doesn't mean you can do larger repeats, even over several inches, just make sure it looks deliberate
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have that stitch on my older Pfaff but I have another I'll check that one but don't remember seeing it on that machine either. I totally agree, it would be the perfect stitch to use and have often wish I had that stitch. I love this machine and am not willing to purchase another machine just to get it though. LOL Like you, I don't have the consistency to attempt the stitch on my own. Mine would look as if a drunken monkey had suddenly tried to quilt.(No disrespect to drunk monkeys) I'll check out some of the other stitches and see if there are any that will work.
Old 12-19-2023, 04:27 AM

Lena, the serpentine stitch that I use is the darning stitch on my machine. I've created a quick guide sampler of different stitch lengths and widths. I do also use it for darning!!
I made several blocks for the seahorse tail. 8 block left! Then, I'll definitely need to square them. (I actually learned about squaring blocks from this forum. It never occurred to me to cut on a block to make it even!)

Last edited by aashley333; 12-19-2023 at 04:38 AM.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:21 PM

I am having my Christmas get togethers this week so I am free to do whatever I want on December 24 and 25. Will be attending our church services of course.