Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi y'all from North Carolina >

Hi y'all from North Carolina

Hi y'all from North Carolina

Old 01-05-2007, 12:37 PM

Hey,
I'm new and still learning my way around the group, still having trouble using this page and changing the text size, the color, the normal things for most people. I'll work at it between quilts.

I am disabled and work only at home now, I have a love of needle work, crochet, clothing construction, cross stitch, all things artsy and so it was a natural thing to pick up a quilt pattern that struck my fancy one day in my fabric shop. I haven't stopped since. That was three years ago. I try to get more difficult with each one of them.

I have two grown sons, one grown step son. Five grand children from age 10 to 20. and one great grand that is 16 mo. old. I made them all afghans, then I made them all fleece blankets, now they'll each get a quilt if I live long enough.

I hope to get to know y'all and that we'll be able to share lots of ideas. I live very very near Topsail Beach and south Jacksonville here in NC. I have a son in Iraq and need to stay occupied!! What better than quilting for that?? Oh, I'm 58 and have a husband 67 that retired from the fire department in city and thought that gave him leave to do nothing but his idea of fun.....then I had a heart attack and he wised up to the fact that he's still required to do more than fish and hunt! lol lol :D
Old 01-05-2007, 01:17 PM

I know how you feel with a child being over there. My husband was in the mililtary for over 20 years. I never got use to him going to Vietnam. Then I had my son over there when they had desert storm. A couple of years ago my son-in-law was over there , I went out and stayed with my daughter so she could continue working. She has 3 small kids and I watched them while she was at work. I really mised my sewing machine while I was out there in Kansas City.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:40 PM

Jim's daddy was in Vietnam when he was born. Jim was in Desert Storm, too. He's Army and I'm a very very proud Mom! As you can tell. lol lol I have to tell you it's way different from a husband being in war to the child being in a war. Very hard to accept.

Is your sil still in military or did he retire? I have a nephew in the Navy near Jacksonville, FL. I had Christmas with him because my other grands are in Anchorage, Alaska. That's to far to drive over. lol

Thanks for writing!
Old 01-06-2007, 02:25 AM

Hey
From Ga, I think you will enjoy this site alot. Lots of friendly, and helpful people. I know you are aproud mom, I have 3 sons, My youngest was in the Army, but not now.
Glad to have you aboard.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:13 AM

I'm already loving it! I may be new to quilting but needles and machines don't scare me.......choosing colors scares me.

Thanks for hailing me, I just spent 8 days in Kingsland, GA with my nephew in the Navy there.

Hope to get to know you soon!
Sharon
Old 01-06-2007, 04:18 PM

Hello from PA. Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you do any and all types of needlework. I used to knit and crochet but, once I started quilting, I kind of lost interest in knitting and crocheting. This is a great place to share info and make new friends.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:57 PM

WELCOME MIMISHARON! I AM NANCY, FROM WI., HAVE A SON IN AFGHANISTAN! HE WILL BE HOME THE END OF MARCH, GOD WILLING. HE HAS A WIFE AND 2 KIDDIES, 1 1/2 AND 6 MONTHS. IS GETTING DEPRESSED.......PRAYERS ARE GOOD! GOD BLESS YOU AND ALSO BLESSINGS TO YOUR WONDERFUL SON! NANCY
Old 01-07-2007, 09:08 AM

It's really hard sometimes for us parents. Especially when our children are in harm's way, right Nancy?

God Bless you and your wonderful son!
Old 01-07-2007, 09:17 AM

Nancy & Sharon, God bless both you and your sons. Thank you to all who are serving our country in the military, and to those who have children serving.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:55 PM

THANKS............KNOW WHAT'S REAL HARD....WHEN YOU ARE THE "MOM".......WHEN MAT CALLS, IT'S USUALLY TO THE FAMILY.(WIFE AND KIDS) AND I KNOW THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT,.........BUT AT A $ PER MINUTE, ONE MUST PICK AND CHOOSE WHO TO CALL, AND HE HAS TWO BABES AT HOME.........SO, OF COURSE, I DPN'T GET TO COMMUNICATE AS MUCH AS I WOULD LIKE :cry: BUT, I KNOW HE KNOWS HOW MUCH WE LOVE AND APPRECIATE HIM! HE CAN ALWAYS USE ALL OF YOUR PRAYERS FOR SAFETY! THANKS!! NANCY