Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent) >

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 PM

Some people have "snack attacks". I have "Jo Ann attacks". I LOVE my JoAnn's! Of course, my choices in my town are very limited: JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 PM

I dont have a Joanne store within driving distance at all. BUT I did go looking at the web site. They had some pretty good prices on some items, and when I got all done, I had about $80.00 worth of goodies..I go look at the postage on it, and WOWOWOWO.... I went back and dumped my "cart" because no way am I gonna pay that kind of postage. I even sent an email to them, telling them they need to get with the program like the other web sites, most of which offer FREE shipping with a minumun purchase of Xdollars. Needless to say, no one answered my email suggestion ! gee, why?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:09 PM

I have also seen the fq's at $1.99 and think its outrageous. Today I happened to be in a Walmart in a nearby town and they had fq"s for .75 and $1.00. Needless to say I bought as many as I could. I would never buy fq's at $1.99 or $2.49 unless it was something I needed desperately to finish a project.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 PM

Good show aliaslaceygreen. I live 2.5 hours from a JoAnne's and long to be closer. Have had good and bad experiences at JoAnne's, but also at every LQS I have ever been in. And some of the fabrics you see the $9.00 price tag on are the same ones I can go buy in flats at some outlet shops for $2.99. Same quality, etc. I have been buying some expensive fabrics lately that ravel like crazy. Who says you have to buy $9 a yard fabric to make a beautiful quilt?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 PM

I don't even want to get into the middle of the JF debate. However, I would like to ask all of you to make sure that the management hears about the employees that do have a good attitude and are more than willing to help you. Having worked in retail, I know that lots of people don't hesitate to air their complaints but never speak up when the clerks have gone beyond the call of duty. It's not always an easy job and it's nice to get positive feedback once in a while.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:53 PM

I live in the oklahoma City area and my only local Joann's is on the north side of the city so I don't get up there very often. However, it is a very nice store, very clean and the staff are always friendly and helpful. Granted, some of the younger staff don't seem very knowledgeable or sure about what they are doing sometimes, but hey, we have all had a "start" to a learning period as far as employment. I try to have a good attitude and when I don't have a pleasant shopping experience, it is most often due to my attitude and not anyone I encountered in the store, itself. As far as good and bad fabric, that can be found nationwide in chain stores and privately owned quilt shops. I have found a lot of good quality quilting fabric as the Joann's mentioned above, but granted, I have had to take my time and look and feel to find the quality I'm looking for. And, that don't always have exactly what I might be looking for, but sometimes neither does my local QS always have what I'm looking for. As far as young people and the way they behave in a working environment is due in some part to the upbringing they have had by their parents. After all, some things are not always taught by the employer but it is expected that it has already been taught at a younger age.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:11 PM

To aliaslaceygreen: You are so right about what we expect from employees of different businesses. Thank you for your input. I too have had a lot of problems with our JoAnns here in Anchorage Alaska. One day I asked one of the worker bees if she liked working at JoAnns. She said yes but she was worried about how long her job might last due to the fact that their store was not making enough profits to stay in business. None of the employees know anything about anything to do with sewing. There was a time many years ago, ( I am 60) that you could go into a fabric store and expect knowledgeable answers to your questions but in this day and age the dollar is the bottom line, not knowledgeable employees. It is sad but one has to adapt. I learn a lot from searching the internet and from taking classes and asking questions of the teacher and the other ladies there. One just has to learn how to work the coupons and watch carefully that they are ringing things up correctly. I always check my receipt before leaving the store. If you think about it and how other countries do not have the luxuries we have then we can count our blessings still yet.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:52 PM

I, too, run hot and cold with JoAnn's. Sometimes I'm able to get good fabric at good prices, especially their newer "premium" fabrics (Stonehill, Legacy Studio). They've gotten smart in that when they have 50% coupons, they put their magazines on sale for 10% off, so that you can no longer purchase a magazine with a coupon. Some of the employees are friendly and helpful. Others are just there for a paycheck. What frustrates me is that, although I FINALLY got on the email mailing list, I don't get the emailed coupons on a regular basis. What's up with that ?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 PM

OH....THIS IS TOO BAD ! I LIVE IN A RURAL AREA WITH NO LOCAL QUILT / FABRIC SHOPS. MY ONLY OPTION IS WALMART WITH LIMITED SELECTION AND IT IS SCHEDULED TO QUIT SELLING FABRICS. NEAREST JOANNE'S IS ABOUT 95 MILES AWAY; I ORDER ON LINE FROM THOUSANDS OF BOLTS. THEIR FABRIC IS OF GOOD QUALITY AND EVEN FACTORING IN SHIPPING COSTS, PRICES ARE REASONABLE; CUSTOMER SERVICE IS GOOD. I USED TO ORDER FROM KEEPSAKE QUILTING, THEIR PRICES HAVE INCREASED DRAMATICALLY, BUT SOMETIMES I FIND SOMETHING ON SALE.
IT SEEMS THAT THE OLD ADAGE "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT" NO LONGER IS THE GUIDING PRINCIPLE OF BUSINESS; HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK WITH ANOTHER STORE
Old 03-03-2010, 12:06 AM

OMG......went to Joannes just this weekend w/my quilting buddy and came out blue in the face. Every time we go there we have issues! The fabrics we selected were marked 30% off so, we each picked up two bolts. The books were 40% off, so I picked up a book that I've been looking for. Once the fabrics were cut, we were informed that they had been put into the wrong section and were only 25% off. The girl at the counter tried to read the receipt that the computer put out and could not calculate the fractions. Said that .67 was 6 inches!!!! They do not train their cutters how to cut from a bolt properly. She tried to cut from the salvage end and not the folded end, in addition she never straightened out the fabric before cutting and when all was said and done, the yardage was 3 inches short. None of the employees there were pleasent or willing to correct the problem. Needless to say, we just left without our purcheses.

Thanks for letting me vent too!

Love the ebay idea will check it out!