Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on backing a quilt with fleece..pictures included >

Need advice on backing a quilt with fleece..pictures included

Need advice on backing a quilt with fleece..pictures included

Old 03-03-2010, 07:13 PM

I am making a couple quilts for my nieces to take to daycare and preschool. My sister asked me to back them with fleece so they would be warmer. Do I still put batting in the middle? Do I bind it like normal? Do I quilt it like normal? Anything else I should know? I included pictures of the tops..they are not sewn together yet. Also, do I attach the label like I normally would (with steam a seam)? Thanks for your help.

Claudia's-Guitars
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28633[/ATTACH]

Peyton's-Ballerina Pigs
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28634[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-28633.jpe   attachment-28634.jpe  
Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 PM

I wouldn't use any batting, it would nmake it heavy for little ones, and I would either bind it as usual or you could fold the backing over to the front (mock binding) and decrative stich it.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't use batting. Just quilt as usual. Bind as usual too. Those are very cute quilts. Great job on both.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 PM

Thanks for such quick responses.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:43 PM

I have done it both ways. Redrummy is correct, the batting will definitely make it heavy and probably too heavy for little ones.

I put battig in a fleece and flannel quilt I made for my adult son. He absolutely loves it, but he lives in the Adirondacks and uses to keep warm while watching tv.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:11 PM

I've used a thin poly batting and also flannel in a number of baby quilts for my grandchildren and found their weight fine. All were bound as usual. **Do Not** use steam-a-seam. Fleece is a plastic product and will flatten and probably melt with the heat of an iron.
I always use a few dabs of fabric glue, instead of pins, to hold the label in place then sew it on using either a tiny whip stitch or small blanket stitch.
ellie
Old 03-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Administrator

i've done one quilt with just the top and the fleece, and another with top, batting, and fleece.

when i didn't put anything between the top and the fleece, even with a walking foot, i had a bit of an issue with distortion on the top because it didn't stick to the fleece. i had to pin the heck outta the sucker.

if you don't want to use batting, i'd recommend you put a layer of prewashed cotton flannel between the top and the fleece. the flannel will stick to the fabric because they're both cotton. the flannel will also stick to the fleece because they're both fuzzy. it will make quilting them much easier.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i've done one quilt with just the top and the fleece, and another with top, batting, and fleece.

when i didn't put anything between the top and the fleece, even with a walking foot, i had a bit of an issue with distortion on the top because it didn't stick to the fleece. i had to pin the heck outta the sucker.

if you don't want to use batting, i'd recommend you put a layer of prewashed cotton flannel between the top and the fleece. the flannel will stick to the fabric because they're both cotton. the flannel will also stick to the fleece because they're both fuzzy. it will make quilting them much easier.
Good info., Patrice. Thank you.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Awesome advice Patrice :D:D:D

Maybe you could incorporate the label into one of the blocks on the front of the quilt? Or FMQ the information into one of the borders?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:49 AM

I've done a couple of quilts with fleece backing - I'm still deciding if I like it or not...

I do a "pillowcase" style with these -- sew it together right sides facing and turn it through a hole (much like purses with linings) and then I'll run a straight stitch about 1/4 from the edge the whole way around to keep the edges straight.

=)

I'll try to post pics later - my computer and I are fighting right now