Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to cut your losses? >

When to cut your losses?

When to cut your losses?

Old 03-30-2010, 04:09 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by lnordyke
Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
Oh I am in suspense now. Really as everyone else says, I bet it is not that bad. Just remember one person's trash is another person's treasure. Many people sleep each night with nothing and would love to have it, if you decided to go the donation way. Just don't trash it, i am sure one of the suggestions made before will be better than the trash!

Sheila
OK. Get ready. Here it is..........
Are you kidding? I think it is beautiful!!! If you hate it that much, maybe we can make a deal. (?)
Old 03-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

Just thought I'd pipe up again...as has been illustrated (beautifully) quilting will really liven up this quilt. Those large areas of white will just be transformed when quilted. Please persist with this project (and post a pic when your done...beg...beg!).
Old 03-30-2010, 05:12 PM

The only thing I'd change would be the border.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:14 PM

All are very good suggestions. I would like to see it also. I bet I made one uglier. I used it in my camper. Sorry I can't show it we wore it out years ago.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

The border has to go, but like someone else said I've never seen an ugly quilt and this one is not ugly!! I wouldn't use it on my bed though b/c if you don't love it you won't enjoy it. But so many peeps made great suggestions- I don't need to add anything.
I love this site so much!!!!!!!! So many good tips and info from everyone!!! :D
Old 03-30-2010, 05:18 PM

It's not ugly. A solid black border would make it sing. It looks like great piecing too!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:35 PM

That is not an ugly quilt!!! I have to agree though, I think your real problem is the border. When I saw the picture I thought you posted the wrong one until I scrolled down to the border. Once quilted I think you will fall in love. We obviously already have.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:02 PM

DITTO on the picnic blanket..and how about a picture...let US learn from your misfortune!!!! Not a mistake, cause look what you learned. And, splitting it in to 2 quilts and THEN donating it makes it twice as nice for someone else.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:06 PM

I like it---minus the floral border....so when you split it in two, I'm in line for one of the two, right?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by doowopddbop
I love the Carpenter's Star quilt - My girls and I made one for my husband's birthday. He loves everything about it! He loves the clean lines, the fact that it is called a "Carpenter"s star (he is a carpenter) and that it was made with love by all four of his girls!

In my humble (longarm quilter) opinion, I think once it is quilted up, the texture of the quilting will really bring it to life, and you will love it again. I'll attach a picture, and you can see what I mean. This was quilted with a layer of cotton and a layer of wool batting to make the quilting stand out.

I like the idea of removing the outer border and replacing with a plain or tone on tone color drawn from one of the more prominent colors in your quilt already such as the browns. It would really frame it and tie it all in together - as long as it was in the "darks" family, not a medium tone. You may not need a huge 10" wide border - mine has a 1-1/2" stop border with a 6" outer border. And by the way, nice work!
Your own quilt is stunning, beautiful stitching too.