Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I am a "Blanket maker" >

I think I am a "Blanket maker"

I think I am a "Blanket maker"

Old 04-24-2010, 07:52 PM

In one class, the instructor suggested that quilts be washed in Downy or a soap that is very gentle like maybe one of the detergents for baby clothes or a special soap for fine linens, even. Use cold water, don't agitate, just soak then drain the water...if using your machine, use the delicate cycle but don't wash for very long at all. She said that the detergent left in the fabric is what causes a quilt to collect soil. She dried her quilts for a very short time then spread them out to dry on a table or bed, etc. Lots of people like the vintage, old fashioned cotton quilts with the puckered look. By washing them this way, you don't get much shrinkage or puckering. Leaving them in the dryer longer will shrink them more if that's what you want.
Some people believe that quilt is a work of art and should not be used or washed. In my house it would really collect a lot of dust and be yucky dirty if not washed.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

Hate to dash your illusions of being a "blanket maker" you are so a QUILTER....love your pics and your helpers. Look forward to seeing more of your work.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:29 PM

I never wanted to see what would happen to any of my quilts after they were washed, but a recent community project made washing the quilts necessary.
I have a front loading washing machine, so that is almost as gentle as it can get. When you consider that most of my quilts go to veterans in hospitals -- it is a good idea that we pre-wash before sending the quilts into an institution setting.
Anyway, I used color magnet sheets in the wash, using cold water wash and rinse.
When I put it in the dryer, I put it on the longest, hottest dry setting I could get.
I have been so pleased with the results, that I will be washing all of my quilts from now on (as soon as they are finished) ... they weren't all crinkled up as I thought they might be, but then ... I don't do a lot of quilting ... the purpose of quilting, after all is to anchor the three layers (top, batting, and backing) together so that the quilt will stay a quilt once it is washed.
The fact that quilting can be beautiful is a side-benefit. It's primary purpose is practical <wave>
Old 04-25-2010, 05:04 AM

Melinda in Tulsa, and anyone else that will listen, I too have trouble making a everyday quilt let alone one I would want anyone to look at closely. But as Melinda said its not the quilt, its the process and my sanity. I love it all, and so what if they don't look perfect, they are yours. So good luck with them all, it does get a little better with time. Hang in there and have fun with what you do.

Rita
Old 04-25-2010, 05:36 AM

I really like it too, It looks very cozy and I love that more than anything. I will have to buy some flannel that makes it so soft.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

Yes...keep playing! Who would allow the quilt police to come over and look anyway???? NOT me!!!! I love them no matter how wonky!
Old 04-25-2010, 06:12 AM

I love it ... I think it's very pretty :D
Old 04-25-2010, 08:25 AM

If I waited for "perfectness" in my quilts I would not have half the tops I do and certainly would not be in the boomerang swap. We all need time to learn and that's what you are doing learning. I too prefer flannel backing.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:51 AM

I agree - look forward to pics
Originally Posted by renee765
I'm with you! I have never made a perfect quilt, and never will. But my little quirks in each quilt are what makes them mine.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:19 AM

The main purpose to quilt to me is that they can wrap around you and make you feel warm and cuddled. You have made a real quilt!