Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-12-2011, 05:46 PM

cabbagepatchkid, my 128 blackside has a crinkled finish with no shine at all. The faceplate is just striated black metal. It's from 1952 during the Korean Conflict. It looks so different from the pretty machines.
Kitsone, that mother of pearl machine is a beauty.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:55 PM

[quote=kwendt]
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by kwendt
wow... if that's a K series, then it's a Singer Model 63. Here's the info from ismacs site... what's the actual s/n?

Weedwoman has a Model 27 allotted on January 16, 1902. Did I miss where she posted something about a Model 63? I'm confused? Nancy
no no... it's a 27. When Weedwoman posted that there were only 200 made that run, it sent bells and whistles off in my head. The industrials and special run machines were done is very small runs like that. On that date: there were 200 63's made. Also on that date, there was a much larger run of 27s started. It should have been that her 27 was part of 39,800 made on April 7th. (not 200). [thanks Weedwoman for clarifying with the actual S/N.] The S/N shows its a 27....

So no... it's a 27 alright.
I got my info off the singer site, where did you come up with 39,800? So much info out there that it's confusing to know what to believe.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by ssgramma
OK - just bought the 2nd one in a week - I think I might have gotten a problem hanging out around here!

This one will be coming to my house :-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...torefresh=true
Awesome!!! You were the only bidder :thumbup: I have the same problem as you--2 "new" machines this week!

The cat in your avatar looks so cute and comical....LOL! What is on it's head?
The cardboard packaging from a round tub of hair product. She was bugging me and it so I stuck it on her head and she left it there for a little while. Long enough to grab the camera anyway LOL
Old 03-12-2011, 06:11 PM

OK - just bought the 2nd one in a week - I think I might have gotten a problem hanging out around here!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...torefresh=true
Oh Geeze, nice machine -- looks like a 15 clone!

Nancy
Old 03-12-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Wellllll......since we're being honest, I bought this one this week:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I know it's pricey for one in this rough shape, but it's an uncommon decal. And I have no self-control.
Miz Johnny is that the same decal that my new Bessie has? The Rose and Cornflower? It sure looks like it is that decal. Is that a VS 3? I know the VS 3 was the machine that followed the VS 2 and it did not have a fiddlebase - the precursor to the 28.

Nancy
Old 03-12-2011, 06:19 PM

Quick ? for those in the know - lol

Does my new 201 take a 66 bobbin? I want to order up some more because I like to pre-wind plenty when I am quilting.

eta Do the plastic ones work so I can see how much is left????
Yes, your 201 takes a class 66 bobbin, the metal bobbins seem to work much better. My 201 doesn't like the plastic bobbins and besides that, the hole that goes on the bobbin winder is too small. I use vintage metal bobbins and no problems at all.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
no no... it's a 27. When Weedwoman posted that there were only 200 made that run, it sent bells and whistles off in my head. The industrials and special run machines were done is very small runs like that. On that date: there were 200 63's made. Also on that date, there was a much larger run of 27s started. It should have been that her 27 was part of 39,800 made on April 7th. (not 200). [thanks Weedwoman for clarifying with the actual S/N.] The S/N shows its a 27....

So no... it's a 27 alright.
I got my info off the singer site, where did you come up with 39,800? So much info out there that it's confusing to know what to believe.[/quote]

(Same site.... it's just that the lines are one right above the other. Easy to misread. It's likely that the 'ol eyes jumped and read the 200 quantity verses the 39,000+ quantity for the 27s. That's all. )
Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 PM

My 201 likes the bit weighter bobbins from Sew Classic. Yes size 66. She does not like plastic bobbins either. :-)
Old 03-12-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
cabbagepatchkid, my 128 blackside has a crinkled finish with no shine at all. The faceplate is just striated black metal. It's from 1952 during the Korean Conflict. It looks so different from the pretty machines.
Kitsone, that mother of pearl machine is a beauty.
Thanks so much for the compliments. The difficulty I have is deciding which machine I want to use.

One thing that I started a couple years ago was a Vintage Sewing Machine Inventory spreadsheet. I keep a list of each machine's make, model, purchase date, where it came from, how much it cost and any story that went along with the machine. Hopefully one of these days I will take the time to write a little history note for each one of my machines and put it in the drawers or case. That way when the next owner takes over they'll have a little history to go along with a great sewing machine :)

Glad to see so many beautiful machines and the excitement over everyone's new treasures. It's definitely contagious.

Judy
Old 03-12-2011, 08:31 PM

301 on CL. One of the shortbeds at a good price. Some attachments, but no case.
http://wichita.craigslist.org/atq/2262503029.html