Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-11-2012, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Charlee you seem to have a knack for being in the right place at the right time! Love your Morse - it looks very similar to mine! I also love the quilt tops! Please post them again after you quilt them! Those will be fun to FM quilt and just think you could do them on the Morse you picked up the same day! Kinda neat to think about that!

Nancy
That was the plan in my mind Nancy!

As for the knack....I spend a lot of time "junkin". The "Snowman" blocks you can see in the background of some of my pictures are part of a $270 kit that I found at Goodwill for $15!

As much as I love the thrift stores tho, in this past year or so I find their prices skyrocketing! I think with this economy, there's more demand for "gently used" and the prices are reflecting that.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:53 AM

[QUOTE=BoJangles;5355743]Melinda, I'd love to see some of the embroidery stitches you did with your Pfaff! Also, I have heard Candace talk about the Lady Kenmore being a Pfaff in disguise, but I really don't understand why? Who made the Lady Kenmore - if it was Pfaff, I didn't know they ever badged a machine?

Nancy[/QUOTE

http://dragonpoodle.blogspot.com/201...-disguise.html

The 89 was made by the same factory that produced the Pfaff and is, I believe the Pfaff 280, in disguise. It still had the Gritzner from West Germany, in German) shipping tag hanging on the machine by a thread. I had to take it off to clean it, but it was yucky, and the Lavender Lady didn't want to be yucked up.

I will post a pic of the embroidery stitches tonight. I have some chores to do today. I had downloaded two versions of the wheel, one with skinny designs, and the other thicker, based on one of the settings. I played until I got the look I wanted anyway. A lot of room for adjustment so pretty cool.

Last edited by melinda1962; 07-11-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Melinda, I'd love to see some of the embroidery stitches you did with your Pfaff! Also, I have heard Candace talk about the Lady Kenmore being a Pfaff in disguise, but I really don't understand why? Who made the Lady Kenmore - if it was Pfaff, I didn't know they ever badged a machine?

Nancy
I put the history of the machine a few pages back. It wasn't made BY Pfaff. The machine was made by a German company and then badged to both Pfaff and Kenmore. So, it's the same machine but the pink Kenmore, is what I'd prefer!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:58 AM

"Quiltingweb, I know you have gotten several answers to this, the tri-flow, heat, all the oiling, but have you really taken the time with a flashlight turning the machine every which way with the slide plate and needle plate removed to make sure there is no thread, hair, lint caught in the hook/race/bobbin area? Also, oil the needle bar really well and keep trying to wiggle it - after you are positive there is nothing caught in the bobbin race area! Cathy on here told me that the machine sticking at times usually meanes the needle bar has lint around it or needs oiling.

Nancy"

Yes. I was able to move the needle bar by undoing a screw. It was a bit gummy at first, but I was able to get the needle out of the way so I could then take apart the bobbin area to make sure there was nothing stuck there. I tiny bit of fluffy lint, but nothing that would jam up the area. The culprit seems to be on long rod that runs the length of the machine, underneath, from the gear on the left to the bobbin spinner on the right. Everything else jiggles slightly except for that one rod and its gear.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:40 AM

Someone in No CA looking for a Davis NVF, here ya go: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/3118965058.html
Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 PM

Nancy, this was done on an old singer commercial machine, I have it out back.
I always put it in a hoop. This machine will do a very wide stitch. You know when you sew strip piecing? Sew from one piece to another then cut them apart? It is the same thing, as long as you keep moving and keep the tension snug it will create a string of stitches. Most women have been brained washed they need a special machine, when there is a will there is a way.
[Want to sew a patch on a sleeve? Pin it in place, turn it inside out so it lays flat and sew it on.]
I have several old machines. One has a bobbin on each side of the needle, it does the stitches that you use a wing needle for today. It leaves little pins holes emb around. I forgot what it is called. Some day I will dig it out and take pics. I played with it one day and never got back to it. Life was to busy then, and now I am to lazy. Some day….
Old 07-11-2012, 12:28 PM

Kayser : http://norfolk.craigslist.org/atq/3115913763.html
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348313[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348314[/ATTACH]

I added photos since I have never seen a Kayser machine.
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2012-07-11-1.34.36-pm.png   screen-shot-2012-07-11-1.34.57-pm.png  

Last edited by vintagemotif; 07-11-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

http://muncie.craigslist.org/atq/3078068520.html
looks like the pic is upside down or something - what is it?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 PM

White Rotary worth checking: http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/atq/3094000030.html

I think it is this model White:http://reocities.com/Heartland/estat...ng_white2.html

Way cool!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:39 PM

Another Davis NVF: http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/atq/3120377378.html

Last edited by vintagemotif; 07-11-2012 at 01:42 PM.