Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 PM

Miriam,

My prayers are with you and your family.

Cathy
Old 02-29-2012, 08:04 PM

Nancy,

I'm so glad that you got the Pfaff. It really is beautiful.

The post sticking out to the right on the bobbinwinder is to hold a round stone. It is used to sharpen needles. Quite common on the old German machines.

The two "cups" on the frame are to hold oil can. Maybe one oil can and one kerosene can?

Nancy, I have two very different styles of 3/4 sized 15 Japanese clones. One is a solid cast metal body like a singer 15. The other has 2 light weight sheet metal removable covers (front and back) and a sheet metal bed which is also removable. Think clam shell. I'll try to remember to post picture when I get home on Friday. Anyone want to remind me (too many senior moments and a senior memory).

Cathy
Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 PM

Nancy,

Can I see a close up of that "dohicky" next to the needle bar? I would guess that it is a thread guide of some type.
The post on the right of the bobbinwinder is to hold a sharpening stone to touch up the point of needles.

Cathy

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Cathy (Mizkaki) what is that dohicky next to the need bar on top? Also, again what are the 'cups' for?

Nancy
Old 02-29-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Nancy, may I share your Pfaff's information and photos on Needlebar? Maybe someone there knows more about it?
Yes, Charlee of course! Keep us posted!

Nancy
Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]316502[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]316501[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Pfaff was founded in 1862 in Kaiserslautern Germany.GM is for Georg Michael Pfaff the dude that started the company.
Wow Monica, you have been busy! Thank you - 1862, that is interesting! Georg Michael Pfaff! Now I need to find out what the 'H' stands for and what that dohicky on top is for!Nancy

Cathy and Charlee, that dohicky is not part of the threading. It looks like something added - it does not follow the thread path?
Attached Thumbnails pfaff-dohicky-top.jpg   pfaff-dohicky.jpg  

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-29-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:06 PM

It looks like the doohickey is a thread guide?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaQuilts View Post
Hello Billy:
I have so enjoyed your posts. In fact, I recently obtained a 1935 Singer 99 in the deco desk with seat. A casual aquaintance, who repairs sewing machines, one the east coast, chastized me for not buying a model 15 instead. I read the on-line critiques for the model 99 before I bought it. All the reports were glowing. He went on to say it was only worth $25 and why did't I buy a model 15. What is the difference? Did I do good or bad for $100? It seems to be a good old machine in need of cleaning and a home. I intend to refinish the deco desk complete with an ink well and an open-up storage seat. I was so happy until he rained on my parade. What is your opinion of the 99 VS 15?
Donna, I think this got lost in the excitement over the Pfaff, and I answered you on my blog, but wanted to answer you here too.
Tell your friend that fixes sewing machines to stuff it! ~wink~ I seldom pay much for a sewing machine, and *I* think you got a pretty decent deal. Cabinets for the 3/4 machines are not quite a dime a dozen, you got a LOT of attachments, a zigzagger, and a bench.
The difference between the model 15 and the 99, other than size, is that you're able to drop the dogs on a 15. It would be easier to sew large quilts on the 15 due to the larger harp, but the 99 is a FINE machine, and it will last forever. I love mine...it's quiet, it's fast, and it's fun to use, even if it doesn't have a reverse! (I don't know if the 1935 model has a reverse or not...does it?)
Don't let him rain on your parade....I think you did just fine with your machine/cabinet and goodies for $100!
Old 03-01-2012, 04:32 AM

Miriam, my thoughts are with you and your family.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Nancy,

I'm so glad that you got the Pfaff. It really is beautiful.

The post sticking out to the right on the bobbinwinder is to hold a round stone. It is used to sharpen needles. Quite common on the old German machines.

The two "cups" on the frame are to hold oil can. Maybe one oil can and one kerosene can?

Nancy, I have two very different styles of 3/4 sized 15 Japanese clones. One is a solid cast metal body like a singer 15. The other has 2 light weight sheet metal removable covers (front and back) and a sheet metal bed which is also removable. Think clam shell. I'll try to remember to post picture when I get home on Friday. Anyone want to remind me (too many senior moments and a senior memory).

Cathy
Cathy, I have seen those Cinderella type machines. The little 3/4 or 1/2 sized machines that come apart. There are a couple people here on the board that have those, but I didn't remember or pay attention to them being a 3/4 size 15! I would love to see them both!

That dohicky on my Pfaff, I think was added. I wonder if it was some kind of clamp to fasten a light of some sort to since it is located directly above the sewing path?

Nancy
Old 03-01-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Pfaff was founded in 1862 in Kaiserslautern Germany.GM is for Georg Michael Pfaff the dude that started the company.
Monica thanks again! I didn't have time to research yesterday - too star struck! Isn't it interesting that Pfaff was founded in 1862 - about the time Singer started too? Makes me wonder who copied whom in the class 15 machines, since Singer's first Model 15 came out in 1895? Of course, I don't know when Pfaff started making their class 15 machines, but there were a lot of companies making machines back then with the tension on the face plate - like Wheeler and Wilson and National! It is interesting to speculate anyway!Nancy