Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

Congrats on 29 year - these days a lot of people don't make it that long at all... some don't even bother to get married. Do you have any kidos???
Old 02-20-2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Speaking of quilt repairs, some nearly 29 years ago my wife and I received home made quilt for a wedding present.
We used it for years and years and years and as things do it got tattered and worn and started to come apart in places.

So, now that I'm officially learning to sew, I want to repair it. How best to start? Machine stitch the repairs? Pull the backing off and repair the front, then replace the backing and re-quilt it. That is "if" it was quilted originally. I can't remember. I haven't seen it in years.

When my wife gets home I think I'll ask her where it's at and dig it out and see.

Oh, we'll be married 29 years this Feb 26th. Where in the world does time go?

Joe
Joe ask Jan, the Quiltdoctor she can give you good advice on repairing an old quilt.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Joe ask Jan, the Quiltdoctor she can give you good advice on repairing an old quilt.
are you a Bible reader???
Old 02-20-2012, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
....Problem - I removed the face plate on my Universal (turquoise White clone that looks like a Chevy dashboard) and it won't go back on correctly. There is a little flange of metal on the machine that fits in a slot cast in the faceplate. It simply will not seat. I'm ready to leave it crooked because I need some of its stitches. Any ideas? I also can't find the new belt I purchased, but you can't help me with that. I had the motor rewired and the other wiring looks good, so I'm ready to try it.
I have one that has to have to top off to put the front all the way on. Dunno if that will help or not. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 PM

Mirium,

Thanks for the congrats. I made up my mind many years ago I was only going to be married once. And I figured it should last a long time.
No kids for us. Wife has three by her first marriage.

Glen,
Where do I find Jan the Quilt Doctor?

Jeo
Old 02-20-2012, 09:03 PM

Default Can't date my Kenmore.

I have a beautiful and smooth running Kenmore machine, I have tried to date it but with no luck. I would appriciate any help. The Serial # is 0003701 No letter. Model # is 158.18011. Thank you. It has about 40 discs, and many attachments. I love using it.

Patti
Attached Thumbnails 053.jpg   054.jpg  

Last edited by SnowQuilt; 02-20-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:40 PM

Mirium,

Thanks for the congrats. I made up my mind many years ago I was only going to be married once. And I figured it should last a long time.

Glen,

Jeo
Joe, her board name is quiltdoctor, her real name is Jan. She posts here, and you should be able to send her a PM using her board name.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Wondering about that for a quilt I made 30 years ago. It was well used. I still haven't decided if I will do it myself or just forget it. Keeping the Quiltdoctor in mind tho. Thanks. BTW I am celebrating my 41 anniversary tomorrow. No kids either. Couldn't have them after my accident when I was 18.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt View Post
I have a beautiful and smooth running Kenmore machine, I have tried to date it but with no luck. I would appriciate any help. The Serial # is 0003701 No letter. Model # is 158.18011. Thank you. It has about 40 discs, and many attachments. I love using it.

Patti
After you get to know that one you are going to like it. Does it have the double disks that you can modify? Probably dates late 60s or early 70s - is it all metal inside and out? Looks like a nice table too. Does the table have a machine lift?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 AM

Mirium,

Glen,

Jeo
I'm here. The "Dr" is in the house. Send me a PM and I'll be glad to try to help you out.

Texas Jan