Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-28-2013, 09:40 PM

I have no addiction. The machines somehow find me. Well, my collection is very small compared to others here, around 20.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Power Poster

I have a hobby, too. I love looking at each machine. Each one is a totally new puzzle. There is something new to be learned every time - including 'identical' machines. Some times more than others. We spent yesterday afternoon trying to figure out how to fit 150+ machines in a 11X12 room. I'm not sure it can be done. Tables are another story.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
Hi, my name is Donna. I too, have this addiction and have started a mini group from our local quilt guild of similarly infected ladies. The bug is spreading and there is no apparent cure (but who wants one) and the best way to handle the infection is contact with like minded persons such as this group or the mini group of which I mentioned. Those infected can better be quarantined as we were in days of yore when we had measles or chicken pox. The infection is like chickenpox as it seems to come out again in your later years and causes great itching...itching to get our hands on more vintage/antique machines. Oh, what an itch it is!!!

Donna, I just love your cure. Nothing cures an itch like a scratch.

cherrybsixty
Old 07-29-2013, 05:58 AM

I don't know whether it's a hobby or an addiction, but I know my life would be easier without all these machines. HOWEVER, not only would it be far less fun, it would probably mean I would be locked up somewhere talking to my fingers. My so-called hobby has gotten me through a lot of stress.
Speaking of stress, I am working on emptying out my storage unit into my already over-filled house. Fun, fun. I think I have all of the tubs of fabric and linens, but there's a whole lot more "stuff" in there, including 3 treadles. Only one of those is mine, though, so I'm hoping I can fit it in. I am going to take a road trip this week and deliver one of the treadles. That will take one stressor off the list. I keep telling myself that if I sell just one more treadle, I can fit those industrial irons in here. Right. I'll get right on that......
My name is Miz Johnny, and I have a mess.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

Johnny, It is too bad we can't have a giant swap party - then we would ALL be high...
Old 07-29-2013, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Johnny, It is too bad we can't have a giant swap party - then we would ALL be high...
Miriam, I'd come to that swap party. I'd have to bring along DH so I can have muscle power there and a 2nd driver for the 2nd vehicle for all the machines.
Where's it being held????
Old 07-29-2013, 06:17 AM

Oh my!! .... well, I don't have so many either.... 10-15.... not sure exactly because all but 2 are at the winter place, 10 hours away. But, I don't sell them.... just work on them and use them..... and the only duplicates I have are the FWs.... can't have enough of those. (Sorry, Glen. I know you're not so fond of those but I love mine.)

I saw another Singer 99 this weekend and was tempted...crinkle finish in really nice condition.... but, I have a 99 that works just fine and would really love to find a 301 and a 15. Guess I'll keep looking. You never know what will pop up.....

My name is Nanna (Jean) and I have a lovely hobby..... keeps me out of trouble and I have so much fun with it.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:42 PM

That is ok Jean(Nanna) and I am glad you like your FWs. I have one so I can say I have one. I have sewn with it but give me the big old boat anchors anyday they have such power when treadleing. I am talking about the 66 and the 201 and such. The Fw does make a nice stitch but just not enough power for me. My name is Skip and I still have a hobby addiction
Old 07-29-2013, 05:08 PM

My name is Susan and I am SO happy when I find a like minded over the moon crazy over vintage machines like me!!! So far only one friend has been infected by the bug. Most don't get it. That's why I like coming here

heck sometimes I wonder where this never ending need to find these treasures comes from. Lol whatever!! I love the hunt and the experience of finding a treasure and bringing it home. I have a long way to go to catch up to most of you! You all are an inspiration to me!!!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:52 PM

Miz Johnny, I doubt you have one these :http://annapolis.craigslist.org/atq/3871934550.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]427063[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2013-07-29-7.48.23-pm.png