Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What did you do with your wedding dress? >

What did you do with your wedding dress?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 AM
bj

Mine was a street length jersey or something my mom made. I wore it to church a few times with a really pretty jacket. Then I washed it (I was young and stupid) and it would have fit a small 5 year old. So, it went into the trash with hubby's pink underwear. So far the marriage has fared better than the laundry...40 years and counting.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 AM

Set the first one on fire after that fiasco of a marriage ended. And, woosh, does lace burn up fast :-D . It was actually quite enjoyable to watch.

The second wedding, my father had died that day, I put the dress away that afternoon without cleaning, thinking I would get back to it after the funeral, and fifteen years later I looked at it and it was wicked stained. It is still in the back of the closet, festering, I guess. Just the other day my DH asked if I still needed to keep it there, space is getting kind of tight with all the fabric I have been storing. I am kind of afraid to open the bag :oops: it is raw silk, wonder if that will clean up?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lilaciris
Originally Posted by craftybear

mine is still hanging in the closet (got married October 1975)
Mine, too; from September 1979
Mine, too. since December 1982. It was not a traditional wedding dress, but a beautiful short brocade white cocktail dress. I always thought I should get it dyed and wear it, but couldn't bring myself to do that. 28 years later the marriage is still wonderful, but the dress looks a lot worse for aging.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 AM

I'm not married yet, but my mother kept her dress for me to wear. Unfortunately, it doesn't even come close to fitting me, and it's really outdated (they married in 1977) but we're going to cut it up and make a christening outfit for my son next fall.
I feel really bad that she kept her dress for me and I don't even want to wear it...
Old 05-27-2010, 09:00 AM

Mine is boxed and in the back of the closet. Married 25 years. DD hasn't decieded if she wants to wear it or not. I have a friend that has a wedding gown collection. If DD doesn't want mine I may give it to her. My friend has tea parties and the young ladies play dress up. She's taken some remarkable outdoor photos in all seasons.

My mother made her dress out of silk that my father brought back from Japan. He didn't meet her till after the war. A few years back she cut it into hankerchiefs and put tatted edging on them that her mother had made. One for each of the grandchildren.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:03 AM

At some point I plan to cut it up to make a "divorce" quilt. I was married for 22 years and have been divorced for 10. I should probably get around to making it! It is on my endless "to do" list. Work just seems to get in the way of all those things I want to do.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
I feel really bad that she kept her dress for me and I don't even want to wear it...
Don't feel bad. When you get married, it is YOUR very special day. And you should wear what you love. If I had it to do "all over again" I would have gone way simpler on the dress. And perhaps eloped to Hawaii. Or gotten married by Elvis in Vegas. I'm just not one to spend a ton of money, and that could be why my dress is at my folks still.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:11 AM

I kept my dress from #1... DS and DD came from that marriage. Kept the dress, veil, photos and video. I want them to know I loved their father and vice versa!

Dress from #2 was simpler and I have kept that one too. Both were ivory and the second was simpler and I "could" wear it if we ever went on a fancy cruise or something like that!

I think I'll use some of the lace from #1 and make a christening gown if a grandchild ever comes along!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
I'm not married yet, but my mother kept her dress for me to wear. Unfortunately, it doesn't even come close to fitting me, and it's really outdated (they married in 1977) but we're going to cut it up and make a christening outfit for my son next fall.
My niece hated her mother's dress too but they reused some of the fabric in her dress and both were happy with the decision!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:29 AM

Mine is also boxed up and in the closet. Great idea to use it to make a christening gown. My daughter recently asked me after I made a formal dress for her if I would make her wedding dress. I laughed and told her "Not if you want me to be there." (Or give me at least a year to make it.)