Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else LIKE WalMart fabrics? >

Does anyone else LIKE WalMart fabrics?

Does anyone else LIKE WalMart fabrics?

Old 06-13-2010, 08:59 AM

The fabric at Walmart comes from the same mills as many of the fabrics that you can find at Joann's and Hancocks. I have never had any problems with Walmart fabric however, you must be careful there as well as most fabric stores.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

One WalMart close to me carries the Quilt of the Month fabric. I like the way it feels and looks. I buy a lot of that.

If I'm making a quilt that I know will be used and washed a lot, I use a cotton/poly (higher % of cotton) fabric. It will hold up to lots of abuse and be soft as cotton. I think the cotton/poly blend fabric will soon be big. The fabric industry can sway consumers any way they decide too. Several well known spokespersons say I use this and love it, it's all it takes.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Banned

A note about WM fabric. Cranston Print Works provided a lot of fabric for WM. A lot of it was probably considered to be the lesser quality. It was most likely what was printed at their plant in Mass. That plant no longer prints and all (as far as I know) is now printed overseas.
The overseas fabric is and always a better quality. I know this because I have been in their warehouse many times and have seen what is coming in for the past year or so of longer. I don't have a WM in my area that carries fabric so I don't know what is available in the WM that does have fabric. The bottom line is know how to select. I bought a group from the big box fabric store recently because I needed a group and they had it. The quality was all over the scale and some was difficult to work with. I also noticed that the big box name was on the selvedge of the fabric which was interesting. So....know what you are buying at any store. I have also bought an entire line from the LQS and noticed a difference in quality within the group. Some was so so and others not so. Over the years I have noticed that some fabric printed in the US was simpler designs and a little different than the overseas printings.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:24 AM

Most of my stash is from Wal-Mart. I'm just careful of what I buy. Some from Joanns and very little from LQS. I can't spend $10.00 or more a yard everytime I like something. I like to quilt so I buy what looks and feels good. If it turns out ugly, oh well theres always next time. It's all a learning experience for me and I get my fix.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i'm pleased to see all the WalMartians supporting each other
Are WalMartians different than "regular" Martians? :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist... :wink:

Local WM's don't carry fabric any more - or much of anything crafty. My biggest problem with their fabric, when they did carry it, was getting anything cut. The seasoned salesmen in the auto or paint dept. didn't seem to appreciate doing it, and there was almost never anyone in the crafts area.

I haven't taken the time to read the whole thread, so don't know if this was alreay mentioned: Some people just don't shop at WM, not because of quality but because they don't like the "big box" mentality and/or believe that they are the cause of smaller shops going under.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

So -

Who will admit to liking White Castle hamburgers?

Who will admit to liking Spam (the pink stuff in a rectangular can)?

Who will admit to reading (the headlines, at least) the National Enquirer?

The whole point of the question was to see if people would ADMIT to liking some WalMart fabrics. Not whether they were superior, inferior, or equal to fabrics from other sources.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

[quote=bearisgray]So -

Btw I love spam and white castle burgers. Sorry I just had to admit to it. No hiding for me.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:09 AM

Depends on what it is going to be used for, but i do buy it if it feels good, i have noticed the new fabric in the packages that all coordinate, i can't feel it, i won't buy it.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
So -

Who will admit to reading (the headlines, at least) the National Enquirer?

The whole point of the question was to see if people would ADMIT to liking some WalMart fabrics. Not whether they were superior, inferior, or equal to fabrics from other sources.

Me Me Me :lol: :lol: Love Spam and White Castle/Krystal and yes, guilty, love to see the National Enquirer even tho I don't believe a word of it. Nor will I buy it.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

My favorite issue is the one with all the pictures of the stars with lots of cellulite in their bathing suits.

Makes me feel MUCH better about the body I'm living in.