Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Equal Hobby Opportunity! >

Equal Hobby Opportunity!

Equal Hobby Opportunity!

Old 06-25-2010, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by LeeAnn
What a great photo! You definitly know how to have a good time. Is it difficult to crank with one hand and guide the fabric with the other?
Actually, no, it's not hard because the feeddogs really hold the fabric steady. I was very surprised at how easy it was to sew!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
My husband is also into old cars (he is down to only 6 now but did have 10!) I don't go to the shows much either unless there is also a craft show there. never thought about taking a sewing machine to keep me occupied... LOL Hmmmm... might have to look into that one!
A car show combined with a craft show? Now, that's a neat idea!! Wish they'd do something like that around here.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
I love your idea and am going to borrow it!
Ah, the best form of flattery! Have fun!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by BZ
Is that a featherweight machine?
I wish! It weighs a ton. What doesn't show too well in the photo is the wooden base it sits in and, the wooden domed top that removes to access the machine.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by paintedquilt
You're sure going to develop muscles in your right arm ;) ;)
That is an understatement! I've used the machine three times now, over a period of months, and have to remember that when my arm aches the next day, it's because I was cranking away the day before. But, it's good exercise and my fluffy arm can use a good work out! :-)
Old 06-25-2010, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Barbm
I often thought of taking something with me, but I'm not allowed anything in the car that would hurt it. hubby has a 65 vette and i have a 67 firebird 400 convert. I wish I was allowed to bring a chair to sit.

now a sewing machine- cool, but he'd never put it in the car.
I hope you're allowed to bring something in your car! Hurt the car??? Please. If he's that paranoid, make a quilted bag big enough to hold a folding chair. Make another one for the hand-crank or whatever you want to bring. If I had to stand around for hours on end, there'd be some DISCUSSIONS that night! :)
Old 06-25-2010, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
I think that's such a great photo!
I know this isn't a car list but your story reminded me of my dad, who died 12 years ago and was an avid old car hobbyist since his teen years. Tell this story to your significant other:
When I was very little Dad bought the love of his life, a bright pink and white '56 Crown Victoria. He and Mom kept having kids and at one point put in a car seat for my little brother, so Dad drilled some holes and screwed it in. Mom kept getting pregnant so when she was pregnant with #5 they sold the car and got a station wagon. I remember growing up (I'm now 52) often Dad would comment that he sure wish he had that car back. Life went on, Dad was still into old cars, restored some, joined a car club when I was an adult.
Then about 10 years before he died he decided he was ready to get a '56 Crown Victoria and restore it. He found one for sale locally and went to see it. He bought it, paying more than he sold it for in the 60's. Those holes and the bolts he had drilled for the car seat were still there! He restored that thing, even keeping re-chromed parts in his underwear drawer, joined a club only for Crown Victoria enthusiasts and even went on an antique car lovers cruise.
Your photo made me think of that and how I would be overjoyed to make a Crown Victoria quilt for him now if I could. Thank you
I can really empathize with your story. Bob's best friend had a mid-50's (can't remember the year) Crown Victoria and baby'ed that thing like it was made of glass. Sadly, about two years after I met Bob and his friend, the friend died. I know Bob would have loved to own a Crown Vic but couldn't bring himself to buy his friend's because it would always be his friend's not his.

The T-bird has also been "modified" to hold a car seat for grandson. Also, I told Bob I wouldn't go anywhere until seat belts were installed.

As for wishing for a car that was previously owned, I think most of us have a favorite that we wish we still had. Unfortunately, as in your story, economics get in the way. Oh well.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Aunt Zaz
I have never seen a hand crank machine. Great idea. Years ago when I was dating my husband he was into dirt track racing and was helping his cousin who had a car. We would get to the track early and I was left alone in the stands until race time. I took cross stitch with me and completed many projects.
I was amazed at how many people had never seen a hand crank but knew all about the treadles. Go figure!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Daisygirl
Great picture and great way to be together. My husband is a golfer, I wonder how we could combine both our hobbies??
How about a golf cart with a table installed? :wink:
Old 06-25-2010, 03:38 AM

Holey moley! I've posted enough replies today. Sorry for the catch-up. I've been gone for a couple of days.