Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly? >

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Old 06-25-2010, 05:34 AM

Yes, I do. I have two nearby and one a bit further. I, too, have a nice stash but I'm finding that I have to buy additional yardage to go with those special pieces I just couldn't resist.
On vacation, I also have a few to shop at.
I feel your pain. You are in a very frustrating situation and I can understand how disappointing it is for you.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:39 AM

No - it is an hour away - when I go "into town" I MAY stop by - time permitting tho
Old 06-25-2010, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I try too. We have a couple in our area, and I just love one of them. The ladies are SO nice, and helpful.. I dont have much money to spend, but I try to buy everything there, even my needles.
I always say its dangerous to go there, I always want something!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:49 AM

I went to the LQS yesterday and was greeted with a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! and noise makers, and it wasn't even my birthday, it was theirs. But the good news is they were having a big sale. Boy, did I luck out there. The ladies there were all very friendly and helpful. I bought some sale items and some regular price items... gotta make more of the Bow Tucks Totes.... and I just had to have some fleur de lis fabric because I'm in Louisiana but that wasn't on sale. Chances are it will sell out before it ever gets to the sale rack.

The shop is only two years old but it is doing very well and has moved to a larger location already. I enjoyed my time there.... oh, did I mention they had cake and punch for everyone? Yep!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:59 AM

I don't go to my 'local' shop. It's an hour and twenty minute drive to get there so if I do go to the town it's in I am usually there in the morning and they don't open until 1 in the afternoon and are closed on Mondays my usual day off . Too late for me to stop in as I am usually on my way back home by then. I stopped in once but was very disappointed by the fabrics in the store. Very little choice and at $18.00 yd it was hard to justify buying anything there when I can get the same quality at half that price elsewhere and without the drive.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:04 AM

The lqs that I visit is the best. The ladies are friendly and very helpful. She has done everything possible to keep her prices down and some of her batiks are less than Joann's. I know times are tough. When things are tough for me, I just buy less, but still buy 99% from my lqs. Of corse it doesn't hurt that is is only 3 blocks from me (I live in a very small town). We have lost so many of our locally owned small businesses that I am doing my small part to make sure we don't loose this one.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Teresa 54
did you say hello to them? did you ask for help? I really feel like it goes both ways.
I personally greet each potential customer walking in the door but most shops don't do that.
I would have to disagree. I have never walked in my LQS (there are two I visit frequently) and have not at least been acknowledged with a "Hello". If they want your business they should at least greet you when you walk in, and tell you to let them know if you need anything. That is just common courtesy.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

This economy is hurting just about everyone.
I've cut down on my trips to LQS in my area for that reason.
But I've also cut down on many other things. For now I'm trying to work with what I have for the most part. I'm cutting down across the board, not just sewing stuff :(
Old 06-25-2010, 06:13 AM

Yes, I buy from LQS when I can afford to. I usually go in and check out the sales, and buy those. I love the bits and pieces usually less than 1/4 that I buy for 1/2 price. One shop has bolts for 1/2 price, I try to buy my backings there. I make quilts I hope will be used and still last way past my lifetime because they are the best quality but not at top prices.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:21 AM

Which goes to show - CUSTOMER SERVICE is EVERYTHING! Most businesses do not even know what it means anymore!!