Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly? >

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:26 PM

I have 3 local shops in my area and I go often,2 of them are great and very nice employees that greet you and very helpful, 1 that is about 3 blocks from my home is only nice if you buy alot,but the owner tends to put down any machines that are not Bernina's since she sells them.If you ask about a certain fabric and she doesnt have it she will say Idont sell that my customers wouldnt buy that.She has alot of fabrics but her additude most of the time is not good.I went in one day to ask her a question about a quilt I was making and she just basically told me to throw it away and start over. needless to say I only go there if I have too.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by JanetM
I am wondering if any of the members that have had a bad experience with their LQS, have written a letter to the store owner.

I think the store owner should be aware of how their customers are being treated, but it is possible that the employee(s) shows one face when the owner is around, and another when the owner is away.

I think it would be a shame if the LQS closed due to poor sales because of the employee(s) are not representing the owner well.

I do not feel it is the responsibility of the shopper to educate the owner of the store. She or he should know what is going on, and be paying better attention to what is going on in the store. If they can't be bothered to make it their business, then maybe they shouldn't be in business.

I say, shop the stores you like, avoid the ones you don't. I certainly am not going to feel guilty about a shop going out of business.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:37 PM

Yes, I visit my LQS's. Probably too often for my pocket book. I visit 2 monthly as I am doing a BOM and a mystery quilt. Lost one in our town just recently due to death of the owner - lovely lady. But we have 7 that are with half an hour or less - 4 about 15/20 minutes - one is a mile away and also a JoAnn's less than a mile. I use JoAnns for wall hangings as they don't get the wear of a quilt. Most of ours are very helpful. Good thing as I need lots of help sometimes. Did just find a new shop to me - didn't know it existed but has been there for 9 years. About 20 minutes away. Neat shop.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:42 AM

There are not many quilting shops in the uk, but the ones there are are doing pretty well. There are about 5 or 6 in Lancashire about an hour away and two very local. One is a quilting shop and sells this for that,which is expensive for most fabric, the other sells lots of other things, a section on fabrics wadding ect not very much very expensive boring fat quarters £2.50 and between £5-£12 per meter not much choice. The only thing I buy there is thread by the cone,which is what they used to sell,they had a large winding section but sadly that has gone they still sell threads. When ever I go there (not very often )] as I always fell as if I've been over charged for what I've bought. There is a lot of choice at very reasonable prices so I shop around as much as possible. Different shops different choice
Old 06-27-2010, 04:34 AM

I went once to the LQS by me, it is an hour away, wish it was closer. I love the feel of a LQS I feel like they are fellow sisters and we already have something in common. I shop Joannes and there is nothing wrong with them they just don't quilt like I do. SO sorry to hear about this shop closing, what a shame. Hope everything works out and they can stay in business.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:44 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
I went to the LQS yesterday and was greeted with a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! and noise makers, and it wasn't even my birthday, it was theirs. But the good news is they were having a big sale. Boy, did I luck out there. The ladies there were all very friendly and helpful. I bought some sale items and some regular price items... gotta make more of the Bow Tucks Totes.... and I just had to have some fleur de lis fabric because I'm in Louisiana but that wasn't on sale. Chances are it will sell out before it ever gets to the sale rack.

The shop is only two years old but it is doing very well and has moved to a larger location already. I enjoyed my time there.... oh, did I mention they had cake and punch for everyone? Yep!
That is the store I go to every time I am home. They all know me by name and they are truly the best people. I always buy something. Did you get some of that new Fleur De Lis fabric, I saw it before it went on the floor,they were waiting on an invoice to be able to put it on the floor so I pre-ordered 3 yards of each before it even hit the floor, they called me when it was in the system. I just love it, now if they could get it in red we'd be in business.
I also go to Gingers Needleworks which is across the street from me. They also know be by name and I enjoy talking to them when I go in. I always find something there as well.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:31 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by OzarksGma
The reason some LQS can mark their fabric at 1/2 price is because they buy closeouts. The $10 per yard fabrics are the new collections coming out. If you are willing to wait and take the chance that some of the fabrics you like will be marked down and closed out you might be lucky enough to be able to find them. Usually if you like the fabrics, so do a lot of others, this usually makes that fabric sell out and there are no closeouts to be purchased for markdowns.
You are so right!! My store buys new collections, but if the collections are good, I'm always on the lookout for "leftovers" that do make it to the closeout sellers. And guess what? The best prints, the "feature designs", almost *never* have goods left over. It's the coordinates that are left, and usually the ones that didn't work well in the first place.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:30 AM

daniellern76- I agree....it's a dying deal to bake, quilt, can food anymore...also gardening is not that common among my co-workers! Good for you passing that onto your children.

As for the post....I agree we should support the small shops..but like mentioned above...the cost of the fabric is between $9-14 yd. If they offered coupons like Jo-Anns does I would shop more there! But..I do buy some when I can afford to splurge I guess..the last time I was in there I spent approx $130 and that wasn't enough fabric to make a quilt...only complete what I have already in my stash to finish the quilt. Please understand that alot of folks are still without jobs and the splurging just can't happen sometimes! I would love to only shop my LQS and keep them in business...but as a single person I just can't do it all the time!
Old 06-27-2010, 12:47 PM

Are there no quilters from the uk here
Old 06-27-2010, 02:04 PM

One of our LQS recently closed - she is going to begin selling online only soon. This turned out to be my favorite (local) shop in the last year. I went in several years ago and wasn't acknowledged at all, so I browsed for about 10 minutes and left. Last year, she had a sale I couldn't pass up and I was treated very warmly by the whole staff, even with the sale crowd, so I went back and left $$ every 3 - 4 weeks!

The other 2 shops are okay. I'm known by name in one, tho I don't go often, and the other I quit going to several years ago after being told I was cheap (the fabric I was specifically looking for happened to be on sale and I only needed 2 yards). The last shop is for sale - owner's DH has taken a job on the west coast - and I hope someone buys it, keeps it open, and learns what customer service is all about!

When I was in Ohio in Feb., I got to visit 2 shops that were wonderful! I can't remember the name of the one in Enon, but they were so helpful and friendly. And I wish I could express how wonderful the staff and selection at Fabric Shack in Waynesville was! I'm so jealous that I don't live closer and the very best scraps and remnants!