Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly? >

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Old 06-26-2010, 10:51 AM

Yes I do try to visit LQS, in fact we had a shop hop recently and there were seven local shops within a 75 -80 mile radius that we (DH & me) visited. Had a great time won prizes and bought something at each shop. All the ladies are wonderful. Prices of fabric range from $2.00 (seconds) on up with large selections so something for everyone. I too would hate to loose our LQS.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:03 AM

I hear your pain and I am saddened by the situation too but there are a variety of reasons why people don't use their local shops. And all of them are valid. For a long time we had only one local shop then all of a sudden we had four. Now we are down to two again. Oddly enough the two shops that are left each have one characteristic that I have difficulty dealing with but I still support them. One can only be accessed by steps and one has a second floor with steep, winding steps where they hold their classes and keep their sale fabric. Definitely a turn off for ladies with mobility issues and in the case of the stairs a liability issue. I have dropped a lot of money at these shops and I have also spent a lot of money on the internet.

You are not going to get people on very tight budgets to buy $10/yd fabrics at their local shop no matter how well you explain the greige goods difference or the helpfulness of shops, etc. They just don't have the money and they have to eat.
You are not going to get people who have had a bad experience at a shop to see the importance of supporting same shop. And what one person sees as important in a shop is not the same to another. I don't give a horses patoot if the employees don't greet me as soon as I walk through the door, I would rather do my own thing. But I do want their help if I ask or when it's time to cut or pay up. Even the thread we had recently on play areas in quilt shops gave me a chuckle. Pretty much everyone thought a play area was a great thing...except me and I had the restraint to stay quiet...til now. Oops.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Administrator

standing ovation!!!!!!! :thumbup:
Old 06-26-2010, 01:21 PM

I go to our quilt shop often, and the sad thing is they dont talk either but yet youre saying spend our money at one well hello I work with the public also the more you greet them the happier they are and I feel the same way. I dont think it;s up to the buyer to speak first!!! It;s up to the person working to make you feel welcome simple as that!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 01:24 PM

I was at my LQS yesterday for a class in FMQ. I loved the class and the teacher, and I never leave there without buying fabric. I always check on the next class and usually sign up then. It helps that they call me by name and they are VERY friendly. I have met a lot of fellow quilters there that I would not have met otherwise!! I will continue to support mine.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:59 PM

I love my local quilt stores; Quilted Squares managed by Tammy Jones in Kirksville, Mo., who always treats me right and lets me know about any sale coming up...like the one week after the fourth of July when everything in the store will be 40% off. At sidewalk sales, I get 75% off. She alsways says Hello when I open her door.

The neat little shop in Unionville, Mo., Stitch n tyme, is run by a neighor and daughter. Very friendly folks, and I buy when I can, quilt things using material from their store and take the items in for display in their store to encourge more folks to buy that product from them.

When we travel and I spot a quilt store or find them by using the Quilters' Travel Companion, or get recommendations from area people, I seem to find friendly, helpful shop owners/salespersons. And, yes, I do shop on internet a lot. I get regular email from Cabbage Rose in Ft.Worth, Tx., Equilters.com, Fabric Shack in Waynesville, OH., and others like Fabric Warehouse. Its the Land of Opportunity, the best of the best survive by competiting for every dollar spent by the customer...supply and demand.

Shop owners can create the demand with special sales, friendly service, and the right attitude. It is an "attitude" adjustment some need to make, perhaps, to stay in business sometimes.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:25 PM

I love my local shops and buy from them often. I also buy from online fabric places like Thousands of Bolts and Equilter and Hancocks of Paducah when I need something particular that I can't get locally.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:52 PM

Hi,

I have 4 LQSs in my area and one of them is my "HOME away from HOME". I am there very often (sometimes more than once a week) and usually always get some fabric and/or notions. I take many classes/get-togethers there too - not just to learn but also to enjoy the social aspects of quilting. They are super friendly to their regular customers as well as any new quilters that come into their shop. I've heard the owner introduce herself, welcome them to the shop, ask if they need help, ask where they are from ,etc - all to make them feel welcomed - and from the replies I've heard from the newbies, they love the service and friendliness. Hope they NEVER go out of business! I also frequent a second shop for the same friendliness and helpfulness. The other 2 I frequent when I am looking for something specific and can't find it in the 2 favorite shops. Then it's buying online. Only bought fabric at Walmart or Jo-Ann's when I was a real newbie and didn't know about quilt shops and that they have a much better grade of fabric. Going broke but well worth it!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:57 PM

I am wondering if any of the members that have had a bad experience with their LQS, have written a letter to the store owner.

I think the store owner should be aware of how their customers are being treated, but it is possible that the employee(s) shows one face when the owner is around, and another when the owner is away.

I think it would be a shame if the LQS closed due to poor sales because of the employee(s) are not representing the owner well.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Hello, I went into my local quilt shop the other day, owner and 2 employees were in there and not one asked me if I needed any help, I finally walked out after 25 minutes
I have also been into shops where I have not been acknowledged. I think it is their place to ask me if I need help or am looking for something specific.