Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly? >

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:11 AM

Okay, I know, I'm gonna get on my soap box. If we don't shop the LQS, it won't be there when the economy recovers and we're ready, willing and able to spend more $$. I work at a semi-local quilt shop (40 min drive each way) because I want them to succeed! I shopped there before I worked there because it's the right thing to do. Small businesses are the life blood of this country and without them, we'll all be making quilts with fabrics from Wal-Marts and JoAnn's! Nothing wrong with shopping around, but please, please, please, support your LQS! A note to LQS: greet every customer as if you're genuinely glad to see them; remember names; ask questions other than "What can I do for you today?" Our LQS even has coffee, tea & cookies waiting! Ladies can sew in the classroom for free all day any day. Classes are reasonably priced. They use local teachers, but also have nationally recognized experts (Judy Martin, Carol Doak). So, do yourself a favor, quilters, and shop locally - it'll help the tax base and keep a small business around for the long haul.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Administrator

i'm afraid my position must remain unchanged.

if a business of any type or size wants my loyalty, they must earn it.

sending good thoughts and dollars to those that do. ;-)
Old 06-26-2010, 08:36 AM

Customer service is the biggest thing to me at least.I cannot tell you how many times I've walked out of a shop because I've felt uncomfortable.Anything from not being greeted(not for me to do),nobody to help find something,to the help not even acknowledging you're there.This is the same reason I will not join any sort of group,guild,etc...Some people just size you up and determine that you don't belong in their store and treat you accordingly.We have a newish store local and I refuse to shop there.The owner's wife has mis-ordered items for me,but what broke the camel's back is her telling me they didn't stock sewing machine lube.I know they have it,I've seen it there.I have a budding quilter and was going to buy some fabric for her.No way in Hell am I going back. I get better treatment at my not so local Hancock's.

Shelly
Ft.Lupton,CO
Old 06-26-2010, 08:44 AM

[quote=PatriceJ]i see a balance of positive and negative running from the top of the topic to the last word so far.

some of us may not agree about price points and target markets, but overall the consensus seems to be that LQS offering friendly, helpful service will maintain a fairly loyal customer base. those that keep the selection fresh and that have good sales and specials also seem to get rave reviews. (that translates to $$$ in the register.) throw in fun classes and other goodies and their dedicated customers sound willing to spend as much as they can afford.

hope springs eternal. ;-)[/quote

I totally agree with your summary.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i'm afraid my position must remain unchanged.

if a business of any type or size wants my loyalty, they must earn it.

sending good thoughts and dollars to those that do. ;-)

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but I again agree with PatriceJ. I will be loyal to a store, but they have to really want it. They aren't Burger King, where they can always have things their way! I am not going to support a store that is only interested in my money. They actually have to work for that money. I am very conservative with my money, and it does not pain me to see companies go under if it was caused by poor management, poor customer service, and just plain bad manners.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:58 AM

My closest LQS is 45 minutes away, long story but I have to depend on my husband to drive and I considered going there IF they had that Fruit Ladies fabric. I just heard of it and thought of a perfect application for it. First, if I called the LQS to see if they had any I'd have to pay long distance charges, not to mention the cost of gas to get there. I just ordered it online, $6 shipping, it was just cjeaper to do it that way. I felt kind of bad doing it that way, I truly believe in helping local businesses, but the situation as it is here made buying online the best choice.
OMG, I just thought, maybe they have mail order? Going to go check
Old 06-26-2010, 09:01 AM

I just checked, they do sell things online too, I'm so glad they don't carry what I wanted. You've just reminded me to check there first!
Old 06-26-2010, 09:26 AM

MOM-6 If you go to Dallas again check out Suzy's in Garland, and Quilters-Connection in east Dallas. If you even get the Paris come by Sew Much More Quilt Shoppe. They are expanding.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:00 AM

Thanks Donna! Best friend & I will have to check these out as time and $ allow...having both at same time...I mean!
Old 06-26-2010, 10:03 AM

I have had so many of my LQS go out of business. When they do I just find another one. Either way, I have to drive at least 30 miles and I don't mind. I hate it that they are having to go out of business tho.