Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly? >

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Teresa 54
did you say hello to them? did you ask for help? I really feel like it goes both ways.
I personally greet each potential customer walking in the door but most shops don't do that.
Wow, do I ever disagree with you on this. It is up to the folks working in a business to offer the best customer service possible, even if it is the last day they are open. I alway's taught my people to greet or acknowledge everyone who came in the front door within the first 30 seconds with either a nod and a smile or a "Hello, I'll be with you shortly. Please feel free to look around".
If I am the customer and I have to look for or say the first words to a clerk (only acception is if their is an emergency going on or I see they are dealing with a rather rude customer) I walk out. Customer service will keep em coming back again and again even if they don't shop. Word of mouth gets around too.
My LQS is run by a gentleman and every customer is greeted accordingly. His business is booming. His classes have waiting lists. People go in to just say, "Hi".
Customer service is a number one prioroty IMHO.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
I've never been in a quilt shop.
It's like being in a quilters candy store!!!! :-)
Old 06-26-2010, 02:44 AM
tmg

I just found a quilt shop within a 30 min. drive from here. I plan on shopping there more. Our Wal-Mart does not have fabric anymore. We don't have a Joann's either. I do buy a lot of my fabric at Hobby Lobby and I do find some great pieces at the thrift store. By far the fabric I got at the quilt shop has the truest grain in it. It cuts the straightest and am having the least problem with. I know I will buy more at the quilt shop and just have less fabric stash it will be worth it.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:20 AM

I go to my LQS every 7 - 10 days. Sometimes it's for a class sometimes to buy and sometimes just for advice. I've never been in there more than 5 minutes before someone acknowledges my presence. They make me feel like I'm their favorite customer. They treat everyone that way. I would be lost without my LQS. Sorry for those of you who have had bad expierences or are loosing your shop.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Teresa 54
did you say hello to them? did you ask for help? I really feel like it goes both ways.
I personally greet each potential customer walking in the door but most shops don't do that.
I don't like being followed around but I do think that it is the owner's or employees' place to greet the customer and tell them that they are there for assistance if needed.

I also have gone into a LQS and felt not that welcome. A small smile goes a long way.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:31 AM

[quote=craftybear]was in another town and hadn't been in there for a long time, the owner was on the phone and she never looked up at me, 1 of them was behind the counter reading a book and the other one was sewing

almost the same thing happened to me. One was sitting in a chair talking to another nearby...the one sitting asked what I needed and said that she didn't think they had it but that the owner would know...she was on the phone.
I didn't expect her to stop her conversion but she could have given some indication that she would be with me soon..I finally just left.........and haven't gone back again.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:40 AM

I go to my LQS quite often as it is about 5-10 minutes from my house. I have even made samples for the shop. Just finished the new Civil War Tribute BOM for the shop and as soon as the new Aunt Grace Circle of Friends shop kit arrives, I will make it. For doing all this sometimes I get to keep the quilts plus I get a good discount on my purchases.
I have not and will not use Wal-Mart/Joanns/Hobby Lobby fabric. Because for all the hard work I put in on a quilt, I want it to last. Yes, I go to other shops anywhere from 1-2 hours drive. In fact I am driving 100 miles (one way) next Saturday to a shop for an applique class. You may say that is nuts, but last year I flew to Hawaii for an applique class.
Well, since I have probably upset several of you I will stop writing.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:54 AM

I took my stepdaughters to our LQS for them to choose fabrics for their quilts. Later they told their dad they thought they'd walked into Cheers - where eveybody knows your name!! :) Our LQS is WONDERFUL! I go there as often as my budget allows - I want them to stay in business...
Old 06-26-2010, 06:02 AM

I understand that Walmart is doing away with material.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:05 AM

I spend a lot of time in my LQS. That is where I took my first quilting class and the ladies there are so friendly and helpful. Will help me solve a problem with a pattern or pick fabric whatever I need at the time. Also are very encouraging and give me a little push sometimes to try something new. I don't ever shop for fabric anywhere else. Course I am very fortunate to live a couple minutes away from mine in a small town.