Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly? >

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Teresa 54
did you say hello to them? did you ask for help? I really feel like it goes both ways.
I personally greet each potential customer walking in the door but most shops don't do that.
She shouldn't have to! When we walk into ANY business, no matter what it is, we're guests, looking to spend money...aka customers. I would no more let someone walk into the store and not greet them than I would let them walk into my home without greeting them...

Customer service is nearly non-existant in today's "all about me" America....I know when I visited Canada several years ago, I was treated MUCH better in every business door I stepped through than I am in the States...
Old 06-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

I agree too. It isnt the CUSTOMERS JOB to greet the shop owner or worker, for goodness sakes. The owner wants the customers money...they should make the customer feel welcome, and want to come back.
I waitress and bar tend, if I was grumpy and wouldnt talk to my customers, you think I would get many tips, or they would come back to me??? Nope. I help elderly, cut food up, greet you at the door, and SMILE!!!!!!! My LQSowner is the same way, always willing to help. I wish I had more money to buy stuff!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:51 PM

My community has NO quilting stores, no Joanns/Hancocks, and no Wal-mart. There is absolutely noplace one can buy a spool of thread or piece of fabric. It is a 25 minutes drive to the QS I conside my favorite one. Yes, I visit there at least once a month. Yes, it is where I make the majority of my fabric purchases. I sometimes take classes there, as well. I would like to spend more time/money there but, as with most people, I do have to stay within a budget. I do love the gals who work there...I consider them my friends.

Not too long ago I stopped at a LQS in a different city (again, about 25 minutes away). They were not very friendly/welcoming at all. I may not go back.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:59 PM

I guess I am an equal opportunity shopper. I love going to our LQS's, in fact, was in one this afternoon. Left a bit of money there. Everyone is really helpful and friendly. They are always busy, but still try to take time out to help you. If you are ever in Coeur d'Alene, ID, be sure to
go to the Bear Paw Quilt store.

There are also several in my area, and are always busy, and staff is generally very helpful. Sometimes they just get too busy.

I seem to always buy my notions at Joanns, very little fabric. Today I took advantage of great sale items on-line, with free shipping (after $50.00). But I was in our local Joanns on Tuesday. Generally they are very helpful, but are a bit short staffed. Not their fault.

I also do a lot of shopping on-line. If the LQS don't restock with new fabric on a regular basis, I get tired of looking at the same stuff. I also like to shop when they aren't open so I take advantage of on-line shopping and consistently get it cheaper, same quality. I don't feel it is my responsibility to keep them in business, but I do enjoy going there. It is their responsibility to make it a pleasurable experience, just like any other place I shop or go out to eat.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

Exactly Rural City Girl, that IS there job! If they only make a few people feel Welcome, who is going to come?? The small shops NEED the customer service, thats what sets them apart from the box stores! Even though I am not rich, I hardly step foot in our cheapest local grocery store, they are so rude and unfriendly. I pay a few cents more and shop the Piggly Wiggly, where they smile and are mostly pretty nice!
Old 06-25-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Exactly Rural City Girl, that IS there job! If they only make a few people feel Welcome, who is going to come?? The small shops NEED the customer service, thats what sets them apart from the box stores! Even though I am not rich, I hardly step foot in our cheapest local grocery store, they are so rude and unfriendly. I pay a few cents more and shop the Piggly Wiggly, where they smile and are mostly pretty nice!
I have to say that I get great service at my local Jo-Ann's - one of my neighbors works in their fabric department :thumbup: I also know the staff in the Viking Gallery there pretty well and they are awesome.

I do visit most of my LQS's on a regular basis also. I am almost spoiled for choice - there are at least seven LQS's within 20 miles of my house! I guess that is one benefit of having a large retirement community :-D
Old 06-25-2010, 07:53 PM

YES! Not only do I frequent my LQS, I frequent many of yours. I travel a lot for both work and pleasure and I always visit the LQS.

And I don't think that I have ever been in an LQS that I wasn't greeted. Usually I am asked if I need help by every employee in the store and I get annoyed. If I need, I'll ask for it. But they always ask anyhow.

Just have lots of fabric choices - that's all I ask. :)
Old 06-25-2010, 07:56 PM

I just can't support all the LQS here. There are over 30!! But I do try to spread myself around. However, I do have a favorite. About a year ago I signed up for a techniques quilting class that met once a month. First class there were like 9 of us. Each month there were fewer and fewer people until finally it was just me and my BFF. So, they quit offering the class. I'm so bummed because I was learning so much and had so much fun. I have to drive pretty far but it is so worth it. A few months ago the new owner took over and she is wonderful. Always a great Hi to me. I feel like she is a friend. She always seems glad to see me, gives me free items some times. I love this shop. It is called Thimble and Threads in Draper, UT.

Just had to give a shout out for them! :thumbup:

Oh, and I do buy a lot at Joann's too. Usually backing. But I just found out that my fav LQS gives 25% off your backing fabric if you bring in your finished quilt top! So, I guess you know where I am getting my backing fabric from now on!
Old 06-25-2010, 07:57 PM

The Sew Oregon Shop Hop is in process. On Monday will get to 10 LQS in the area and give them a chance to hook me as a customer. Can't wait to get started. Am expecting them to be unique with their own personalities.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:03 PM

I've never been in a quilt shop.