Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
so consumed with my lqs experience i forgot to tell you about the quilt police! >

so consumed with my lqs experience i forgot to tell you about the quilt police!

so consumed with my lqs experience i forgot to tell you about the quilt police!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nona
Your answer was perfect. I dont think I would have been so tolerant. Quilts are meant to use. I hate to see quilts at the goodwill that have been tossed away. We have moved many times and the oldest of the quilts make great padding for furniture. My grandkids all use their quilts every day..even the 17 year old. The 15 year old quilt has been redone3 times. The last time was this year and I told him that it was for display only now...you could see thru the top it was so thin. He said fine, when could he have a new one??? I have twin bed size top that I never finished so I have dragged it out to complete for his christmas gift. It is the greatest compliment you can have is that they use your gift.
My grandson drags his quilt everywhere even here to spend the night. He is 11 yrs now and asked if I would make him another. He wants a flag red, white and blue quilt. So I have to get it done for Christmas or his birthday in Feb. My other grandson still has his second one on his bed and it is several years old. When this one is done I'll see what he wants for a new one. They really need to be used. I have to make one for my granddaughter too. She has a little one but needs a big one for her big bed. I love making quilts for the kids and others.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by OHSue
I once took a class from a woman who told of stealing back the table runner she had given to someone because they used it on a table on the patio. I mentioned to her that I was a weaver and I wove handtowels and dishtowels as gifts and my feelings would be hurt if someone didn't use them. She was appalled.
I can't believe she would tell people that she stole it back. How awful for the person she gave it to. I would have walked out of her class and asked for a refund. I would not have been able to trust her enough to take her class.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:10 AM

Weird story and there are some really rude (weird) people around...could it be she had some bad experiences ? but that doesn't make it right :shock:
Old 07-09-2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by echoemb
I also work with dogs and I had a woman follow me into Petsmart one day all the way from across the parking lot to tell me that I was training my puppy to heel all wrong. I needed to put a halti on him and they work great, etc, blah,blah,blah. That is fine if you have a pet dog but I am training obedience and seeing as they don't allow those in the ring I don't use them as I feel they are a crutch. My method works, it just takes awhile. And again just like your quilt police people are extremely rude any more and seem to think they need to mind everybody's business but their own.
I trained my Standard poodle myself. I read everything I could get my hands on then went to work. He is so well behaved, calm and gentle. But I have had people tell me that I need to take him to puppy training classes to do it right. I have a day care and I know how to teach. I just needed to know how to do it with dogs. They are not the same as children except for the patience, persistance attitude and expectations. Now when people ask me where he was trained and I tell them at home by me they are surprised. Training a dog is not hard once you know how they think, what they understand and what they need. I can take him anywhere and he always behaves and listens. I didn't train him to heel with a halti either. And he does fine. I have signed him up for Therapy dog training. I think we will both like it. I am also looking into dog training school.

I have found the same thing with some quilters. What class did you take to learn that. I didn't. Oh if you had you would have learned to do it easier, better, the right way etc. We need to learn at our own pace and in our own way. Not everyone can afford classes they are expensive. If it is the class or the fabric, the fabric will win every time. Classes are a lot of fun but I have found most of them are more of a social event than a learning experience. You do take something away but you can only learn so much in a short time.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:31 AM

Your responses were very good! If someone had come up to me like that, I can just see my children and husband backing away. I would have let her have it right back, just like you but maybe not so calmly. Quilt Police? -- goodness!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

one of my favorites (over heard when 2 sisters were fighting and one of them actally SPIT at the other one...her response? VERY BECOMING OF YOU BONNIE! and she turned and walked away...had it been me, and my sister, i would have knocked her teeth down her throat! i'm not always so diplomatic ;)
Originally Posted by bob1414
When people are unnecessarily rude to me for no reason at all (in other words, I don't have it coming!), about the only comeback I can think of are:

1 - I bet your mother is so proud of you and the way you behave

2 - I just saw you on the Jerry Springer show!!

So sorry she went off on you - not cool at all....
Old 07-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

we were kind of kidding around, waiting to see the topic (went to an airshow this weekend and THIS WOMAN THREW A QUILT ON THE GROUND!) haven't seen her yet though
Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
I haven't read all ten pages but this thought occurred to me -- if she's a quilter herself maybe she's a member of this board. If so, and if she's reading all these responses, maybe in the future she'll remember this lesson we all learned in childhood -- mind your own business!
:P
Old 07-09-2010, 07:29 AM

i just had to add my 2 cents worth, that is so so funny, i don't know how you kept a straight face but i think you are a wonderful inspiration to the rest of us, what good is a quilt if it is not used and loved!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

someone asked if she was embarrassed or apoligized...no way, she was in quite a snit when she stomped off with her...'well i never...' her poor hubby was embarrassed though, asked her if she was proud of herself and told her he was going home. i don't know if he made her walk :)
i sat down on the guilty quilt and joined my hubby with a laugh and enjoyed the rest of the airshow. then we went 'out ' for icecream :)
makes me want to carry a quilt everywhere i go...maybe i could make one a good size to pad my shopping cart when i grocery shop...
just kidding, i really do try to avoid confrontation.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:55 AM

ckcowl, I am so impressed by your grace in letting this woman make a fool of herself. You are to be commended for making the right choice of words in response to her actions. And, yes, even dear hubby in holding what might have been a real 911 call had be put an arm up to block her aggressive behavior. And then there is your creative writing....hilarious and keeping me in stitches. (no pun intended) lol Your post has given many of us quilters a good laugh. Look at this 12--12 pages all ready!