Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
long arm catastrophy >

long arm catastrophy

long arm catastrophy

Old 07-22-2010, 05:45 AM

Well, at least it looks like it won't be much trouble to take it all out. The tension is so loose, you can probably just start pulling on the bottom side and it won't take long at all. I am a master at unsewing. Sorry.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:49 AM

I have a gammill too and depending on the type of thread I'm using I know I have to thread it differently. I find that with the varigated stuff I do have to thread the machine a little differently..
Old 07-22-2010, 05:53 AM

I am so sorry. My suggestion doesn't help now that it is finished but it may help for the next quilt. I have a mid-arm machine on my machine frame. (My frame is a B-line and it is the type that sits on the table.)
I bought a long length mirror and put it on the table under the quilt. I use a flashlight and inspect the underside of my quilt before I roll the quilt to the next row to be quilted.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 AM

I used to have a Gammil that did that same thing IF the backing had any polyester in it at all---some ladies wanted to use cheap sheets from Wal-Mart and that was an automatic disaster!! Not sure why, but the machine liked only cotton! You will be glad if you do it right!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:14 AM

great idea about the mirror tile--I will get one tomorrow when I go into town. That tension will get you every time.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by aardvarq
Hi Jenna,

Have you ever seen anyone skin a quilt top from the sandwich?

I have learned to do it for pretty much the same reason, bad tension, ugly quilting stitches.

Here is a link to a video. I recommend a curved blade, sickle shaped. You can find them at LQS. They are made like surgical scalpels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyDwPPU_1jw

Aardie.
I have one of those type rippers...they can be dangerous, lol!!! Thanks for the video...certainly something to consider when I start the ripping process.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:25 AM

That is so sad! Looks like you and the seam ripper will be spending some quality time together...I love the quilt! :D
Old 07-22-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Looks like you and the seam ripper will be spending some quality time together...I love the quilt! :D
I can think of a lot more things, and people, i'd rather spend quality time with, LOL!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by krob
I used to have a Gammil that did that same thing IF the backing had any polyester in it at all---some ladies wanted to use cheap sheets from Wal-Mart and that was an automatic disaster!! Not sure why, but the machine liked only cotton! You will be glad if you do it right!
The backing is 100% cotton. Her machine has had issues like this in the past It would really frustrate me if I had to deal w/problems like this often.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Banned

Now I dont know if you want to try this or not it worked with a lap quilt I did last year. For some reason my tension got off on my Model 15 and I had something that looked really familiar to yours. I always check my quilts as I do them but it was 3 am and I was on full speed ahead mode so I could hurry up and get it done.

The next day I looked at the back and saw where it was all buggered up like yours and I really was not into taking it apart. That and the fact that I had to wrap it up and put it in the mail for a gift that morning..........

So I took the quilt and tossed it in the wash and washed it on hot and dried it on high and the threads shrunk and tightened up and I did not have to fix anything!! But I never pre wash anything before I make a quilt.

I dont know if you want to try this or not but it might work for you.

Billy