99K Yard Sale Find

Old 07-31-2010, 02:13 PM

thanks.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

What a beautiful new baby. Congrats. What a great find.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:54 AM

I have a 99K which I bought in Waco Texas in 1974 for $25.00. I was sewing on it yesterday doing some dredded mending. I taught both of my daughters to sew on it and a ton of girl scouts also. Last night my daughter told me the new scout troup was ready to start sewing so I guess I'm going to start the next generation. It is a wonderful machine, slower action for teaching young ones and very forgiving. It is a permanent member of my sewing machine stations in my sewing room. You made a great deal!!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 11:56 AM

She's beautiful. Glad she found a good home.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:12 PM

i'll be gone from monday 'til friday, but when i get back i'll be getting the parts. i can't wait to get it all together. right now it's in good shape but dirty. i'll check this thread when i get back.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:24 PM

Way to go BFW!
Old 08-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned

Have a good trip!!

Billy
Old 08-30-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay you never said anything about the machine being in a cabinet. The machine is a 3/4 sized machine and the vast majority were portable. But a FEW and only a few came in cabinets. You could make a mint off just the cabinet alone not even counting how nice the machine is!

Oh you did very well on this find and keep everything together (cabinet and machine) like your talking about and you will have a very desirable piece.

Billy
I just came in from the garage and unearthed a machine that I bought at a thrift store probably 10 or more years ago. I kept it at work and at lunch hours a group of us would cut and piece four patches, 2 light and 2 dark. We made 3 quilts and auctioned them off for United Way and raised several hundred dollars each year. We expanded our office and we no longer had room for our sewing room so I brought it home. Had not thought about it until I started reading this board. I went to look and it is a 99 K in a cabinet too. It needs to be refinished, but is in excellent shape. The machine is in perfect shape and sewed beautifully. It is missing the light however, the cord is hanging with electrical tape on it.

You are right, the cabinets are kind of rare. I have one spotted for my Spartan, but the man wants $75.00 for it alone. He said they were hard to come by.

My question is how to clean it up, I want to wipe it off and oil the necessary spots, but don't want to do anything to damage the decals. Do I remember a Tutorial on this process for this machine. Also does anyone know of any accessories or a light to fit it. Please let me know if anyone has any of this. Thanks for your help, and so glad I found all of you.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 AM

[quote=girardgirl61]
Originally Posted by Lostn51
My question is how to clean it up, I want to wipe it off and oil the necessary spots, but don't want to do anything to damage the decals. Do I remember a Tutorial on this process for this machine. Also does anyone know of any accessories or a light to fit it. Please let me know if anyone has any of this. Thanks for your help, and so glad I found all of you.
Billy has made tutorials, in three parts. It will work for this. There is also one on checking the electrical. You will find them in the Vintage Machine Virtual section or the tutorial section.

Here is the link to part 1
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45816-1.htm
Old 09-01-2010, 05:00 AM

where is the link to part 2? This is better that a cheap novel. I have a 1940's kenmore that was sewing great and then locked up. I know it can't be all that hard to find the problem, but I don't know where to start.