Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ok does anyone else have this problem? >

ok does anyone else have this problem?

ok does anyone else have this problem?

Old 10-08-2010, 05:28 AM

I am guilty of getting the free onee off the net and just keep getting them before I use any. Yes I a guilty
Old 10-08-2010, 06:02 AM

I've bought several patterns twice, not realizing that I already had them!!! Too many for sure! I'll have to sell some!
Old 10-08-2010, 06:13 AM

Oh yeah, I think if you love fabric, you love the books & patterns that show you what to do with them!
Originally Posted by Skyqueen30094
I know we talk about our fabric stash how big it is, organizing it etc but does anyone else also have a problem collecting patterns? I keep seeing patterns I like and buying them or saving them but never use them :roll:
Old 10-08-2010, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Skyqueen30094
I know we talk about our fabric stash how big it is, organizing it etc but does anyone else also have a problem collecting patterns? I keep seeing patterns I like and buying them or saving them but never use them :roll:
Yes! I recently decided to organize my patterns that were stuffed on end into two shoeboxes. I had tabbed dividers (cut strips of cardboard) that put them into categories, but they were packed so tightly that it was difficult to see them without taking everything out of the box. So.......

I got the bright idea of putting them into loose-leaf binders and to put them in those three-ring plastic sleeves. I bought two of the largest binders I could find thinking I'd have LOTS of space for more patterns. (Although, why I thought I needed that much space, I don't know.) I was absolutely astonished when I completely filled both binders. If I live another hundred years I won't be able to make that many quilts. Sheesh. So.......

I declared a moratorium. Join me if you wish. Here is my pledge:

I, Catrancher, will not buy OR PRINT any more patterns unless I plan to make it RIGHT NOW. I will not buy OR PRINT any more patterns to make some day far into the future no matter how much I think the world will stop turning if I don't add it to my collection.

Guess I solved that problem. (Not!)
Old 10-08-2010, 06:20 AM

My mother is the only one I know that uses old patterns( like 50 year old Workbasket Mags. so buys very few patterns ans the same goes for fabric. She has saved scraps for years and now uses them almost exclusively. I wish I had her self control.
I am constantly saving patterns from online. How can you resist not, when they are free?
Old 10-08-2010, 06:23 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

I am now on my 4th (or is it 5th) binder of patterns!!

I rip out of magazines, put in those plastic sleeves for the binders and then the binders are arranged by different topics, such as Table runners, wall hangings etc...

I know if I start now and do one pattern EACH DAY for rest of my life, I STILL won't be able to make them all!!!! :cry:
Old 10-08-2010, 06:30 AM

Patterns, books.......I think I'm in competition with my LQS as to who has the higher inventory! I'll never live long enough to complete them all...............but, hey, we've gotta have goals, right? Besides, this board keeps introducing me to more and more beautiful quilts..................ah, someday!
Old 10-08-2010, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Aunt Doggie
I am now on my 4th (or is it 5th) binder of patterns!!

I rip out of magazines, put in those plastic sleeves for the binders and then the binders are arranged by different topics, such as Table runners, wall hangings etc...

I know if I start now and do one pattern EACH DAY for rest of my life, I STILL won't be able to make them all!!!! :cry:
That's how I keep mine from magazines as well.....but it's sure fun to pull them out and think about what's next, isn't it?
Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 AM

At first I was thinking "wow free patterns", everywhere... Where do I put them? In with the fabric stash? Nope way to many for that, the ahaaa moment struck--Since I got most of the "free stuff" on line--put them in a notebook- easy right, well three printer cartriages later and (which aren't cheap) and 3 notebooks later, hundreds of sheet protecters..

Geez when am I gona have time to look over all these patterns. Running out of ink was a blessing in hind site which made me re-think-- am I ever gona do this?
Pattern Overload here.....
Old 10-08-2010, 06:46 AM

My father had started a book of the patterns our family had saved. These are mostly the old Workbasket and Kansas City Star patterns. I have added to it with patterns from the internet. Huge binder, can hardly pick it up. I would not be able to make all of these if I live to be 100! But maybe someday a granddaughter or great granddaughter will utilize them.