Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Horrible Quilting Class >

Horrible Quilting Class

Horrible Quilting Class

Old 11-08-2010, 04:45 AM

It's too bad about the class but a good thing you didn't let it put you off quilting. Like many of the quilters on this wonderful site, I learned how to sew at my mother's knee and as a young adult, made lots of my daughters' clothes. Years later I decided to take a class on how to make a quillow in an adult ed class. It seems there were a bunch of women who always took the class their friend the instructor was teaching so it was just one big hen party for them. Not only did I not learn anything, the instructor actually had me put a piece in the wrong pace. I was so frustrated that I had to pull the whole thing apart and learn to do it myself. BUT...I have also taken classes that I would have gladly paid ten times for. Just glad you didn't give up!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Beth
I am going to be teaching my first class in 2011. Any ideas on how to make it a good one? I really want everyone to have a good time and learn.
Beth, Come prepared with your lesson. Make sure you share yourself with every student and triple check the list of what is needed for the class. Most of all - have fun and keep a sense of humor!!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:17 AM

As a fairly new quilter, I try to take as many classes as possible to learn new techniques, patterns, etc. I find there are many different ways to do the same thing, some work for me, some don't. I usually ask around at my guild, now I will also use this board, if anyone has taken a class with an instructor before I sign up.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:27 AM

I usually feel intimidated at quilting classes. I sit there quietly and soak in all the techniques, and then go home and finish the project. So I don't take classes anymore. I learn more from the Internet and my friends! That's just me.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:43 AM

I am a teacher, as well as a lecturer. My samples are hung in the shops with description along with my phone number incase they need clarification. I travel to teach at Quilt Shops and guilds. I try to make everyone comfortable, I applaud using stash fabric but always give them other options for adding to their palett at the QS,and they always want to buy more. I pride myself in being a good teacher- people travel to take classes from me because I am personable, helpful I take everyone from square one no matter how expert they claim to be and they always learn alot from me. People know what they get from me - my passion, my classes fill even in this economic turndown. I also make myself available to them on a certain date at the shop if they are stuck on something and need extra help (at no charge) So Sorry you had a bad experience. Keep trying, you will find a teacher you like and learn alot.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:46 AM

My budget doesn't afford classes, but I have gleaned so much from this QB. I've been sewing all my life but I am amazed at what I have learned from you ladies, and gents. Glad I found this board.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewgull
Seems we have all have good and bad experiences with classes. I have taked several classes, but in my area classes and kits are expensive. There are many snowbirds here for the winter, looking for entertainment.
LOS charge high fees for classes and kits, I feel they lose sight local people. I have taked couple of classes that where just social talking about who was doing whatever.
As a snowbird - I am looking for the same good experience with a class and a shop as a year-rounder. I am also hoping to get acquainted with whoever else might be in the class.

Many of the snowbirds I know are also on fixed incomes, have health issues, etc etc etc.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:04 AM

I am self taught. I decided about 11 years ago, I wanted to learn. My friend knew how to sew, and we got some free patterns fromt the internet and started.

We both had Brother sewing machines, CHEAP ones, that would constantl give us fits! LOL But, we figured it out. Oh, trust me, the first few things we did were awful! But, with practice we got better.

I live an hour away from the nearest quilt shops that give lessons. I have checked them out, but, honestly, I am doing ok on my own. I still would love to learn things, but you can watch youtube videos and that helps alot.

I am sorry you had such a bad expierence. I am sure not all classes are like that. As far as a fancy machine, what good is it if you don't know how to use it? I would rather have a machine I know how to use than one that "looks" good and is "better" than others. Boy, those ladies yapping about the money the spent would make me mad! LOL
Old 11-08-2010, 06:23 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by joan_quilts
.....I would rather have a machine I know how to use than one that "looks" good and is "better" than others. Boy, those ladies yapping about the money the spent would make me mad! LOL
I laughed at this because I so agree!! I know I am a master quilter; I don't need a $7000-$8000 machine or a $20,000 Gammill to prove it to myself or anyone else. (Thanks goodness, 'cause that's not likely to happen in my world now! :? )

But I also got to thinking......you know, without those wonderful ladies who can and do spend the huge bucks on this craft/art/hobby/career, think how limited we'd all be in our tool choices, and fabric selections, and beautiful pictures we see of quilts at the big shows. God love 'em, they absolutely serve a purpose that benefits all of us. As we've said before, there's room for all of us in this wonderful, colorful, huggable world.

Jan in VA
Old 11-08-2010, 06:24 AM

When we first moved to the NC, I was still into Tole Painting, so found a once a month group to go to. Boy, was I disappointed! Like your experience, all most did was sit around & chat! No one else finished their class projects at class! I came to paint with, & socialize with, others, but they all had their own little clicks & mostly just visited with each other. I went two or three times, saw nothing would ever change, so I quit going after that. This was real disappointing too, a long ways from my house, & not even worth the trip! So I know just how you feel!