Your Worst Gift ?

Old 12-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

my brother gave me mens work gloves, said he didn't know what to give me.
duh fabric?????
Old 12-13-2010, 12:08 PM

I got this enormous watch. It was so big that it looked like a joke watch. I never wore it. Years later I found out what it cost and almost had a heart attack. If I had known, I would have returned it and bought many things I needed at the time. boy - live and learn.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by mayday
two gifts, sadly NOT appreciated-----------------I use china only for cup/saucers--mugs--plates--jugs----gravy boatscetc etc and was given a heavy BROWN/BLACK pottery set of mugs and some hand thrown ones from another, they were SO rough that they cut my lips!!!
I bet I would love these hand thrown ones, I love rugged looking hand made pottery!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by plainpat
Maybe he'll send it to you?

My brother got a fruit cake for x-mas years ago from his MIL. He didn't unwrap it and the next year she got it back. Then came the comical tradition of each year the other one got it back for x-mas. And so it went for at least ten years, until her death this past summer. Who know what will come of that dreaded fruit cake
:lol:
[/quote]

Oh Lord, I never thought of that. I think I will change my mailing address.......just in case. Too funny :shock:
Old 12-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

When we got married (in December) my MIL sent a check for $100. It was clearly stated that $25 was meant for Pat for the wedding and $25 for me. The other was $25 for Pat for CHristmas and $25 for me.

Shortly after, she sent a very rude letter and I took the check, ripped it up, taped it to a note that read "put it where the sun don't shine" or something like that. Hm, and I wonder why we didn't get along. lol

My favorite gift from Pat - oh, I've gotten so many doozies over the years that we have a "no gift" rule for the most part. The man is always confused about my age and I either get something that is more suited to a 16 year-old or a 75 year-old. At 52, I am somewhere between there AND I don't need ruffles on the hips.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:47 PM

coming back from a christmas party we smelled something in the car..checking the gifts, we found a wallet that was given to my husband as a gift.. evidently, it was bought in a "vintage shop"...it was all mildewed...it went straight in the garbage....
Old 12-13-2010, 02:02 PM

I was 6 months pregnant with my son, family Christmas with his and my family there. He bought and wrapped it himself, a painted mirror. It had a girl somewhat topless but not really showing things. I opened that in front of our families and was shocked and hurt. His comment was it reminded him of me. Hello better look again???!!! He got it from his dad and his mom big time. Went out the next day and got me the new microwave I wanted, knowing the rule of if it plugs it not a gift he was worried it was the wrong gift. Amazingly in Sept we will be married 40 years. some of his gifts are still sometimes on the "what were you thinking?" side but never as bad as that one. and the good ones really surprise me. Last year he got me a green house. Came up with the idea all by himself.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
The worst gift is nothing.
yeah, I have gotten that several times, and it stings worse when you have searched high and low, and bought them an expensive gift (which they have and still use frequently), and not even a thank you.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:53 PM

I can think of a few- from my first husband, the third year we were married- an iron. He wanted his shirts done better. I threw it at him. From my present husband, the first year we were together, he bought me clothes- from Fredericks of Hollywood- I told him then, you cannot ever buy me clothes. I am not a hooker.
But I figured it out. I went to the jeweler, the furrier, and the florist we use (and other shops) took them around the store, showed them what I liked and what was not acceptable. Now when it's time for a gift, I say maybe jewelry, or clothes, or whatever. He goes in and they suggest appropriate things. I am never disappointed, and always surprised since I don't know which store he will go to. Most guys want to do the right thing but they honestly have zero idea. They need alot of help. Hope we get what we want this year. :)
Cheryl
Old 12-13-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by TFquilter
Originally Posted by plainpat
Not sure it was the worst, but was one I never forgot.We had a new baby & no washer & dryer.Christmas was coming & I knew, just knew my husband was getting me a W&D.This was back when ppl washed diapers, so was sorely needed.
So.........He hands me this huge box & what was in it? A card telling me a W&D was coming? No......it was a fur jacket!!!!
I'd never wanted a fur jacket in my life. What was he thinking? Who knows.....
Mom said "don't say a word,or he'll never buy you another gift" LOL
Funny...the year I thought I was going to get an engagement ring for Christmas from my now husband, I got an iron! I got the ring the next month...

:lol:
That's so funny. The year I thought I'd get an engagement ring, he gave me a spice rack! He never knew I was upset until years later. After 30 years I still have it and laugh about my "engagement spice rack"!