Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My "love/hate" relationship with paper piecing; any tips? >

My "love/hate" relationship with paper piecing; any tips?

My "love/hate" relationship with paper piecing; any tips?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:24 AM

The best advice I was ever given about paper piece is to cut your fabric first into strips, look at pattern then measure biggest piece and cut that size. Do for each color you are using. That helps with the bigger pieces sew you have enough.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 PM

Thanks so much everyone, for these tips. I'm going to try to tackle this again after Christmas, even though it's a Christmas project.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:21 PM

I had only done paper piecing once before - at a social with my quilt guild several years ago. Today I decided to try it again for a rising sun pattern - four small squares equals one large block. I copied the smaller sections onto looseleaf paper - it comes off so easily. I precut my fabrics into pieces a little larger than need be, I didn't want to rip out because I was short. So far, so good - one square is completely done and the prep work for the remaining three is ready to go. Let's see what tomorrow brings. If this works out, I will try it again. It's actually very easy to sew on the lines!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by schwanton
I had only done paper piecing once before - at a social with my quilt guild several years ago. Today I decided to try it again for a rising sun pattern - four small squares equals one large block. I copied the smaller sections onto looseleaf paper - it comes off so easily. I precut my fabrics into pieces a little larger than need be, I didn't want to rip out because I was short. So far, so good - one square is completely done and the prep work for the remaining three is ready to go. Let's see what tomorrow brings. If this works out, I will try it again. It's actually very easy to sew on the lines!
Quite fun too huh? I thought I didn't like it but I sure do after taking a class on it.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:07 AM

I measure my pieces at their longest and widest places and then add 1/2 to 3/4 inches. If its an outside piece, be sure to add in the seam allowance and still add your 1/2 inch.
Featherweight...I have been using a wallpaper roller for years and love it so much. I use it in all types of quilting. It never never stretches the seam or fabric out of shape. You can sew for ages without using an iron.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Buy Carol Doak CD how to paperpiece. It's the best instructional video I have seen to learn paper piecing and get it right the first time. I use lightweight vellum paper. Not the vellum used for scrapbooking. I bought a ream of it online and that will probably last me 20 plus years. If you don't mind drawing your pattern the deli sandwich wrappers bought at Sam's or Cosco 500 to a box makes good pp paper.
I agree Carol Doak has the best instructions. I tried a few times then finally watched the video... made a HUGE difference , and now I love paper piecing..
I do use plain copy paper .. its handy and it works.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:05 AM

There's been lots of talk about what paper to use but not so much about the fabric. Here's my "two bits": I cut a strip of fabric for each section and depending on the size of it then add on seam allowance. For example: if the widest portion of the section is 2" wide(measure from the left edge where section 1 & 2 butt together over to the right edge), then I'll add on 5/8" for seam allowances (1/4" s.a. X 2 + 1/8" to get stuck in the folded over seam allowance). So cut a strip 2 5/8" wide. What I like about this method is you don't cut off the strip until after you've pressed your seam allowance over to one side. Then when you do the next section, when you fold back the paper on the seam line, place your ruler on the pattern, THEN you cut for the next piece = giving your new placement edge (including s.a.) to work with and trim the previous strip off at the same time.
So many people seem to struggle with cutting a piece of fabric and it's too small - which they discover after they've sewn it on.

Take your next strip, line up the cut edges with the previous edge (always rt. sides together), pin if necessary, sew on the line, press s.a., trim, con't.

I've never had fabric that was too small to cover the section. I also label each strip with the section # with a small piece of paper either pinned on or clipped w/ a paper clip. Then your strips can be together in a pile but still be labeled so you can fairly easily pick out the one you need next.

If you are using a print with stripes, you need to be aware that the stripe will be parallel with the left edge of the section. If you don't want that, you might have to fussy cut a strip in order to have the stripes running the proper way in your section. This happens when doing triangular pieces like in a New York Beauty pattern. Ask me, I know since I've had to do this.