Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it! >

Help! My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it!

Help! My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

When washing it, I would not dry it in the dryer until I knew for sure the odor was gone.

It could have just scared her so much when it fell over that she peed. It is also possible that she has some kind of urinary infection or problem that makes it smell so strong. It could also be spray instead of urine.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Cat puke on the other hand.... still trying to figure out the magic concoction that will take those stains out.
My DSIL used liquid Tide, then put newspaper over the stain with weight on them. I find if I get to the stain right away I can avoid stains.

I had a cat who threw up on some hand pieced blocks - they rinsed out just fine.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:30 AM

He will pee on things when his feng shui (sp?) is disturbed...a small piece of wrapping paper on the floor...lots of presents in places he doesn't think they should be...stange people in the house. Basically about anything that disturbs his patrols, he will wreck vengeance (in the form of peeing on something) but otherwise is the most awesome cat I have ever seen, so we tolerate the occassional message that we are disturbing him. I had a feeling that he was going to do something but unfortunately the apartment is small and there was not another place to put the quilt and hoop. *sigh* I will survive and so will the cat. Someday I will have a room of my own to keep such things in!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 AM

I'm glad he has a loving home, inspite of his peculiar way of expressing his unhappiness. :)

Before drying give it the ol' sniff test. I think you will be ok. So infuriating. At least it didn't leave a stain. Cat puke on the other hand.... still trying to figure out the magic concoction that will take those stains out.

Cat puke stains from dyes in the food and also the stomach acids will bleach fabric.

Sniffing, after awhile you'll smell cat pee everywhere. My DH's fresh ground coffee has me sniffing my couches for naughty cat.

Seriously, I'd take my cat to the vet and see if he has an infection. That smell may be a big sign of kidney or bladder problem. He may also more water in his diet, especially if he eats mostly dry food. I sure hope some of the suggestions for saving your quilt work.....
Old 12-22-2010, 08:39 AM

I'm not a cat owner but there is alot of great advice here.
hazeljane mentioned Unique Pet Odor and Stain Remover.
I've heard that does do wonders. Also good on the carpet to remove pet stains and odors.
Good luck. :thumbup:
Old 12-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

The *only* think I will use on cat pee now is F.O.N. (Feline Odor Neutralizer), which I purchase online, often from an Amazon seller. It's important not to use any type of ammonia or vinegar on the accident, because then F.O.N. will not work. It's an enzyme action, so I make sure to soak whatever it is enough that the F.O.N. can make contact. I also cover or enclose the item in plastic for several hours to make sure that the enzyme remains active long enough to work on every particle. Then I wash the item as normal.

Over a couple of decades I think I've tried everything else that is on the market. This is the only one that really, really takes out all of the odor permanently. It also doesn't have its own telltale fragrance.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:56 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by LadyJrhi
...think skunk crossed with fresh cut juniper.
Well, thanks a lot.

Just the thought of that aroma will be hard to get rid of all day. :lol:
Old 12-22-2010, 08:58 AM

Talking about cats and dogs my hubby called me and told me that there is a huge recall on contaminated pet food for cats and dogs. Not again.....I lost one cat do to melamine years ago. I haven't seen it on the news yet but my husband works for a feed mill and alerts went out to all feed mills.