Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inhereted a Bernina 930... >

Inhereted a Bernina 930...

Inhereted a Bernina 930...

Old 01-26-2011, 06:08 PM

Definitely. Go on line to find the cord if it doesn't turn up.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 PM

Go to e-bay under Bernina sewing machines and just keep looking. They frequently have missing parts such as this for the older models.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:23 PM

Yes. I have one and have had one since 1984. I love it and it is the only machine I have and use. I have sewn all types of materials and upholstered a boat (now that was a feat) and it has never failed me yet. The only thing I have had to replace is the foot petal as it finally cracked after 25yrs. and had to have the local Bernina shop order one for $100.00. Other than servicing and cleaning which I haven't been that good with, you just can't beat the quality of this machine. It is all metal with nothing to break on it. I think it is the best one out on the market. But I know I am biased. I love not having to pay for having a machine fixed. :)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-19-2018 at 02:48 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 01-26-2011, 08:43 PM

Yes, Yes, I would definitely get it cleaned and serviced. I have a 930 and it is my main machine, in fact the only one I really use. I bought mine in 1985. I have a FW and three older Singer models, one was my mothers an antique dated about 1938-1939, my first machine a Singer golden Touch 1969 and a Singer that my brother gave me last week that had been in his storage shed, was his ex wife's. It is dated 1950 from the serial No. I have to get a new belt, before I can get it checked out. But back to the Bernina, I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. I have had folks at LQS try to talk me into getting a new machine, Janome, and trade my Bernina for one, but absolutely Not. I don't know if you can get a power cord from a Bernina shop or not, but the only one that I know about anywhere close to me is in Lubbock Tx., You might go on line and check for one. Good Luck. I hope you can find a cord and I know you will enjoy it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-19-2018 at 02:48 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 01-26-2011, 09:53 PM

That is a no brainer. Bernina is considered the top machine in the business. There is none other that does everything wonderfully. Brother is said to do some embroidery better but not that I can tell. I use to make tiny button holes in lingerie with my old one perfectly. Use to make the ladies in my classes so mad. Go for it.

Peg-TX
Innova 18"
Old 01-26-2011, 09:56 PM

That is a no brainer. Bernina is considered the top machine in the business. There is none other that does everything wonderfully. Brother is said to do some embroidery better but not that I can tell. I use to make tiny button holes in lingerie with my old one perfectly. Use to make the ladies in my classes so mad. Go for it.

Peg-TX
Innova 18"
Old 01-26-2011, 11:08 PM

I have a 1090 it's a great machine, I bought brand new in 1994 and it's been a workhorse, I have sewn clothes, crafts, quilts and just about anything that can be sewn, I think A Bernina is worth the cost of cleaning and adjustments, check e-bay for the cord, you won't be sorry
Old 01-27-2011, 01:01 AM

Our Bernina dealer sells used feet etc. for older machines. I have an old 830 which I would never give up. And I also have a new 440. My friend bought a used 930 from our dealer and she also bought some used feet, especially a walking foot at a great price. You can probably get a cord from eBay or from a Bernina dealer. You are so lucky to get this machine. I've sewed my leather sandle straps on my 830 as well as my daughter's wedding dress. The 930 will do the same.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lilyized
I inhereted a Bernina 930 from my DMIL. Still trying to locate the power cord, but I'm told it's around. Sure hope so, from what I can tell, they are discontinued.

My question: Would you invest the money to have this machine looked at, cleaned, etc., and use it? I have a great little Brother LB6770 embroidery machine that's been great but I can tell the Berninia is much more solid. Let me know your thoughts, I need to purchase a walking foot, 1/4"foot, bobbins, etc.

Thanks!
If you look around different shops you will find a cord. They are still around and this particular cord will fit several of their machines. I have the 1230 and wished with all my heart I had bought the used 930 instead of the (at the time) new 1230. These machines are work horses and will last a very long time. I keep mine cleaned out and it has never given me a moments trouble. You could go on line and see if you can find a cord. I found one for $12.00 a while back because mine had just about worn out at the wall plug end.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 AM

MY DH surprised me with a 930 for Christmas in 1984 ... it is a wonderful machine ... take it in for service ... invest in the cord ... I will never get rid of mine ... I know lots of ladies at my guild that have issues with their fancy computerized machines and I just smile because I never have those issues with mine!