Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 04-20-2011, 09:42 AM

Kathy, your quilt is fantastic! Thanks for sharing. And I mpressed that you knew what you were doing on yiur 4th quilt. I was counting the quilts I made yesterday, and I am on the 13th and STILL don't know what I am doing,lol.

Linda Ann, I haven't started yet, but I did get all my blocks enlarged and boight more fabric yesterday :oops: I am itching to start now, but busy this week, will see what I can do.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Beautiful quilt Kathy, thanks for sharing. I must have missed the last page so had to go look for it.

I am a bit mystified about reversing the patterns etc.?

I have photocopied the page of each design. I put that, face up on my light box, and trace through the background fabric, so my tracing is exactly how the design looks in the book. I must be missing something here.
I think the reversing of the pattern is for when you are using the pattern to paper piece the applique. The tracing onto the background doesn't need to be reversed, but I imagine on some blocks the paper pieces might. However, if you use freezer paper and trace on the paper side and then fuse them wax side up, you are already reversing your pattern. Does this make sense?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by craftyone27
Originally Posted by Lacelady
Beautiful quilt Kathy, thanks for sharing. I must have missed the last page so had to go look for it.

I am a bit mystified about reversing the patterns etc.?

I have photocopied the page of each design. I put that, face up on my light box, and trace through the background fabric, so my tracing is exactly how the design looks in the book. I must be missing something here.
I think the reversing of the pattern is for when you are using the pattern to paper piece the applique. The tracing onto the background doesn't need to be reversed, but I imagine on some blocks the paper pieces might. However, if you use freezer paper and trace on the paper side and then fuse them wax side up, you are already reversing your pattern. Does this make sense?
Aah, thank you. It never occurred to me about the fusing etc. Duh!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

I have this book, so you know I love this quilt! I'll never be healthy enough again to hand piece and quilt, but if I ever get aroundtuit, it's going to be much loved ;-)
Old 04-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
...I haven't started on my AOTH yet, but I have...
SO, I am not the only one who has not started with any of the blocks? Whew!

With more mobility returning to my body; comes more routine housework I can and should catch up on.... but, ah, I would like to just sewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Someone, what's your guess as to the percentage of quilters who have already started verses others like me??? That's my question. :-D :-D :-D
no ma'am, your not ;)
I have many have-to's to do. I got one wall painted in my living room today after 40 hunnerd interruptions in past two and a half days!
Many sewing/quilting projects to finish up, but I just couldn't pass up this opportunity.
I think I am going to enjoy doing this quilt, ever so much more with a group.
I don't have an irl friend close by to quilt with...and don't worry...I'm not too speedy.
I used to be a rabbit, now I'm a snail...skipped right over the turtle stage! too many things to do! :shock: :wink:
Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Kathy, I love your quilt...it is a real beauty! Hopefully you were able to build at least the nave with what you raised from the quilt!
Actually if I remember it got about $1200. The school cost 5.5 million. Now they are in the beginning stages of building a 13.5 million addition to the entire campus. The church owns the entire block plus quite a bit across the street on the back side of the church. Church was built in 1875 & the old school (now nothing but a sdistant memory) was built about 2 years before that. The best building on the block, other than the church & school is downa t the far corner - a former funeral home - quite big & fancy. It's now a parrish house used for all sorts of small gatherings, expecially when school is in session.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Roxanne you are not dumb, some of the patterns are mirrored and some are not. The centre of the flower in block 27 is mirrored. All of the Scrolls are mirrored. so for those of you have not yet reached this point, the secret is to turn them over and trace them.
Not dumb at all - there is a post right after the initial announcement about the blocks that are not symetrical. I listed them so you will know which ones have to be flipped.

EDIT: The blocks that need to be flipped are 1, 4, 6, 7, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20, 27, 30, 32, and 33. Hope this will help.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by candi
Kathy, your quilt is fantastic! Thanks for sharing. And I mpressed that you knew what you were doing on yiur 4th quilt. I was counting the quilts I made yesterday, and I am on the 13th and STILL don't know what I am doing,lol.
Candi, the little wall hanging on the wall was the 4th quilt, made in1984. The other 3 have gone off into where-ever-it-is-that-quilts-go. One is under the house insulating a water pipe that has now been disconnected. Country Bride was finished in 2001. Don't know how many quilts were made between them or how many have bewen made since then.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:31 PM

I've been reading along with this thread since the beginning. I've even drooled over the block pics you all posted. But, I've decided you're all NUTS, certifiable!!!! All that work! And you are my cyber friends! I just can not let you suffer alone. Guess I'll just have to join in the insanity.

Seriously, I got the book about 10 days ago and had it spiral bound. Had the enlargements made, my blocks will be 9 inches. My background fabric came about the same time. It is a Hoffman 1895 batik in grape color. Beautiful and yummy color. I thought about black or a dark green, but, that grape kept pulling me till I surrendered. Link to my other fabrics is http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-112131-1.htm
and of course, my stash. Sorry, but, I'm not going to post pics of that stash, would be here all night trying to upload pics.

I thought long and hard about doing this quilt. I'm not a hand sewer any more due to arthritis. I usually do machine applique because it is easier on my hands. But, after looking at all those LITTLE pieces on my enlargements, this is going to be done by hand. No way would my machine applique do this quilt justice. Well, don't know about the hand stuff either. It will be for me so I'm the only one to please.

And quess what? I've done two blocks since Thursday. I'll run post them now.

Linda in North Central Texas, you know, that place that's burning
Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltykitty
I've been reading along with this thread since the beginning. I've even drooled over the block pics you all posted. But, I've decided you're all NUTS, certifiable!!!! All that work! And you are my cyber friends! I just can not let you suffer alone. Guess I'll just have to join in the insanity.

Seriously, I got the book about 10 days ago and had it spiral bound. Had the enlargements made, my blocks will be 9 inches. My background fabric came about the same time. It is a Hoffman 1895 batik in grape color. Beautiful and yummy color. I thought about black or a dark green, but, that grape kept pulling me till I surrendered. Link to my other fabrics is http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-112131-1.htm
and of course, my stash. Sorry, but, I'm not going to post pics of that stash, would be here all night trying to upload pics.

I thought long and hard about doing this quilt. I'm not a hand sewer any more due to arthritis. I usually do machine applique because it is easier on my hands. But, after looking at all those LITTLE pieces on my enlargements, this is going to be done by hand. No way would my machine applique do this quilt justice. Well, don't know about the hand stuff either. It will be for me so I'm the only one to please.

And quess what? I've done two blocks since Thursday. I'll run post them now.

Linda in North Central Texas, you know, that place that's burning
wow, wow and wow...love your fabrics, especially the one in the center...don't know how you left without it the first time.
I went in a store yesterday and by golly, there is a fabric that I almost bought and it's been on my brain ever since.
guess I'll have to go bring it home where it belongs!
Grape background sounds luscious kitty! ohhh, can't wait to see! :thumbup: