Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does everyone here own a.... >

Does everyone here own a....

Does everyone here own a....

Old 02-07-2011, 03:40 PM

I quilt all sizes on my Berninas - 630, 180 and even my 40 year old 807.

I guess I use a puddle and roll combo!

I also have the luxury of an 8 foot by 4 ft work table, for quilting big I clear off the table and spread the quilt out while I work.

I mark my really big quilts into 8 sections and just 'pretend' the 8th I'm working on is all the quilt! I also sit on a pile of cushions and I dont even look at the machine with out my gloves and three wound bobins.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:25 PM

I do as much as a King Size on my Viking
Old 02-07-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by rexie
O.k....Puddeling...What is puddleing and how do you puddle? I have an older Singer that does not allow the feed dogs to drop, so guess I need to update?
you can cover the feed dogs. my older singer has a plastic plate that snaps on, others have mentioned you can tape a business card over the feed dogs. Just make sure to punch a hole big enough for the needle.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by rexie
O.k....Puddeling...What is puddleing and how do you puddle? I have an older Singer that does not allow the feed dogs to drop, so guess I need to update?
I've heard that you can cover the feed dogs with an index card, tho, I haven't tried it. Try going to Leah Day's blog or daystyledesigns.com, her website, for excellent, detailed instructions on FMQ on your home machine. Includes videos of "puddling" how to set up your sewing area to support the weight of your quilt, plus many valuable instructions. Viedos are on you-tube, free!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:42 PM

The quilt I am currently working on is a "QAYG" (quilt as you go) I am doing each panel separate then connecting them row by row. Less bulk and makes it easier
Old 02-07-2011, 04:45 PM

I just have a regular sized Pfaff machine. I can quilt a twin-sized quilt on it very easily. So far, I have not made a quilt bigger than that. I think I will send it out if I do. I have tried to find somewhere where they would let me use their long arm but have not found that. I am taking a class on a smaller long arm at the end of the month, so I can do FMQ, and other things that I do not do on my little machine right now.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:19 PM

I don't, I just dream of the day. My sewing machine is free quilt capable and I have been experimenting with that.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by sidmona
I have a Juki and just finished a queen quilt on it. I have even done a few kings. The trick is to puddle the quilt, not roll it.
I agree puddle. I just finished a extra large king size on my juki and did lots of fancy quilting on it and had no problems. In fact the back was muslin and now can be used for a wholecloth quilt when I want to change looks.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 PM

I have an Elna Quilting Queen 7300, the largest I have done is an extra long twin I rolled, but have learned here and elsewhere that puddling is a much better system. The money I have to spend on quilting doesn't include the talents of a longarmer or my secret desire- an HQ sweet 16 that fits in the beautiful extended table my husband built for me so my Quilting Queen reigns in her table alone. There are so many helpful tutorials, books and videos I need to just keep developing my skills.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ssgramma
I do queen size on my Brother - just scrunch and puddle rather than roll.
As above